Logging in is not required for viewing pages. However, it provides additional features, and in general it is recommended.
Why log in?
You don't have to log in to read Bulbapedia. However, it's still a good idea to log in, for several reasons:
- Logging in allows you to edit almost any page on the wiki.
- Other users will be able to recognize you by your username when you make changes to pages.
- You will have your own user page where you can write a bit about yourself, and a user talk page which you can use to communicate with other users.
- You will be able to keep track of changes to articles you are interested in using a watchlist.
- Receive automatic notifications of certain events (if set in your preferences).
- Receive emails from other users if so set in your preferences (the user who emails you will not know your email address).
- Email other users and administrators if they want as above (your email address will be disclosed on any email you send).
- You will be able to move (rename) pages after being autoconfirmed.
- You will be able to set your own preferences.
- The fonts, colors and layout of the site, by using different skins.
How to log in
First, make sure that your browser accepts cookies. Some browsers can accept or reject cookies from individual sites; users of these should configure the browser to accept cookies from bulbagarden.net.
Click on "Account" at the top right of the page an then the "Bulbapedia login" button. You will then be prompted to enter your username and password. If you haven't logged in before, you will need to use the link provided to create an account.
Creating an account
To create an account, click "Account" at the top right of the page and then "Create Bulbapedia Account". To create an account, you must a) be over 13 years old, and b) not already have an account on Bulbapedia.
When creating your account, you will need to select an acceptable username, enter (and re-enter) a password, pass a reCAPTCHA test, and provide a valid email address. You will need to verify your email address by clicking a link that will be sent to the address you provide, before you will be able to edit the wiki.
Bulbapedia and the Bulbagarden Archives have a unified login system; having an account on one, means you have an account on the other. Logging in to one of the wikis will automatically log you in on the other, and the same is true with logging out. However, account roles will not automatically transfer; becoming autoconfirmed on one wiki will not make you autoconfirmed on the other.