GO Battle League
The GO Battle League is a feature in Pokémon GO for competitive, online Trainer Battles. It was first introduced on January 28, 2020. Due to an exploit that allowed players to cheat, the GO Battle League was taken down indefinitely on June 12, 2020 until a fix could be patched into the game. It was restored on June 23, 2020.
Rules and mechanics
Official rules for the GO Battle League were first announced on December 11, 2019.. They are as follows:
- A season is a predetermined period of time during which players can battle to increase their rank and rating. At the start of a season, all players start from Rank 1 and can work their way up to Rank 10. A rating is assigned once the player reaches Rank 7, and it is recalculated upon finishing a set of five battles.
- GO Battle League matches take place in all three leagues: Great, Ultra, and Master Leagues. Only one league is available during a period of time, and the leagues will rotate throughout the season.
- Winning a match increases a Trainer's rating, and losing a match lowers it; currently, a tie counts as a loss. If the timer expires, the Trainer having the most remaining cumulative HP among their remaining Pokémon wins. Once a Trainer's rank moves up, it will not drop down for the remainder of the season.
- Teams with multiple Pokémon of the same species are not allowed. As with other Trainer Battles, Ditto and Shedinja are also ineligible to participate.
- Players can unlock a set of five GO Battle League matches by walking 3 km* or immediately by spending PokéCoins. After unlocking a set, any additional distance traveled will be rolled over towards unlocking the next set. A player can only participate in at most five sets (or 25 GO Battle League matches) per day, but afterwards, can still accumulate distance for the next day's set.
- The PokéCoin cost to immediately unlock the next set depends on how much distance left is needed to be walked:
- Since March 13, 2020, the walking requirement has been temporarily waived amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- In the Premier Cup, there is no CP limit. However, all Legendary and Mythical Pokémon (including Meltan and Melmetal) are ineligible to participate in it.
The following lists the requirements to move up in each rank. All listed requirements are non-cumulative, so the counters restart upon reaching a new rank.
| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Exact amounts of Stardust awarded for finishing a set.
Trainers can earn up to five reward bundles per set for winning in the GO Battle League. Before starting a set of battles, the Trainer can choose either basic or premium reward track. A Premium Battle Pass is required for the premium reward track, which has better rewards than that of the basic. And upon finishing a set of five matches, the player will earn Stardust based on how many matches were won. The available rewards for both tracks improve as the player moves up in rank.
The amount of Stardust awarded increases linearly with the player's rank.
|1 win||5 wins||3 wins|
The following lists the possible random item that may be awarded in the GO Battle League. The items do not appear to differ between reward tiers and rank.
|Silver Pinap Berry|
The possible wild Pokémon encounters as rewards varies depending on the Rank. They are caught at Power Up level 20 and have a guaranteed 10 IVs per stat. Currently, the wild encounter rewards are the same between the basic and premium reward tracks.
Usually, the awarded Pokémon is randomly selected from a pool that expands as the player increases in rank. However, reaching certain ranks will guarantee a specific Pokémon encounter for the first time only. If the player reaches another higher rank, that also has a guaranteed encounter, before being awarded the previous one, then the next wild encounter will be from the lower Rank first, and the higher rank's encounter will be queued for the next wild encounter that is earned.
From March 3 to April 21, 2020, it was also possible to encounter the current level 5 Raid Boss from these wild encounters at any rank.
- Great League: January 28 - February 10, 2020; March 9 - May 1, 2020
- Ultra League: February 10 - February 24, 2020
- Master League: February 24 - March 5, 2020
- All 3 Leagues: March 5 - March 13, 2020
- Season 1
- Great League: March 13 - March 27, 2020
- Ultra League: March 27 - April 10, 2020
- Master League: April 10 - April 24, 2020
- All 3 Leagues: April 24 - May 1, 2020
- Season 2
- Great League: May 1 - June 1, 2020
- Ultra League: June 1 - June 15, 2020
- Master League and Premier Cup: June 15 - June 29, 2020
- All 3 Leagues and Premier Cup: June 29 - July 6, 2020
- Season 3
- Great League: July 6, 2020 - TBA
In other languages