Damage modification (Mystery Dungeon)
|This article contains old or outdated information, or has not been updated in a while. Please check the content of this article and update it as required.|
Damage modification in the Mystery Dungeon series is slightly different from than in the main games due to the differences between the two game engines. Here are a list of differences:
Standard attacks are considered to have no type, and will attack Pokémon of all types equally. Against Wonder Guard, standard attacks will only do 1 damage.
Like the main games, special attacks are affected by types, although the multipliers are different.
In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, the type affinities are as follows. Multipliers stack multiplicatively against dual-type Pokémon:
- Super-effective attacks, such as Grass attacks on Water, deal 150% of normal damage.
- Not very effective attacks, such as Fighting on Psychic, deal 90% of normal damage.
- Attacks of little effect, such as Ground attacks on Flying, deal 50% of normal damage.
In Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness the multipliers are instead 50%, 70% and 140%, unless either the attacker or the defender has Erratic Player IQ skill, which changes them to 25%, 50% and 170%.
Note that type affinity changes brought forth by moves or abilities do not use the above - Levitate will still render Ground attacks useless, for instance.
Rescue Team and Explorers
There are some differences from how critical works in main series:
- Critical hits do only 50% more damage, unless the Pokémon has Sniper, in which case it will do double damage.
- Male or gender-unknown Pokémon will have the move's base critical hit rate multiplied by 1.5x.
- Scope Lens, Patsy Band, Sharpshooter IQ skill and Super Luck add a flat modifier to the move's critical hit rate (30% in Red/Blue Rescue Team, 15% in Explorers).
- Type Advantage Master will set the critical hit rate to 40%, ignoring all other effects.
- Focus Energy will guarantee critical hits, provided the critical hits are not prevented by exclusive items, Abilities, Critical Dodger IQ skill or Lucky Chant.
|Moves||Chance of critical hit|
|Pin Missile, Fury Attack, Fury Swipes, Comet Punch and Rock Blast||1%|
|Ice Ball, DoubleSlap, Bullet Seed, Twineedle, Barrage, Arm Thrust, Icicle Spear, ThunderShock, Spike Cannon, Triple Kick and Bone Rush||2%|
|Moves with a high critical-hit ratio*||50%RB/30%TDS|
|This article is part of Project Sidegames, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon Sidegames.|