|Tanks for the Memories!
Tanks for the Memories! (Japanese: メイドカフェのミルタンク！ Miltank of the Maid Café!) is the 62nd episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 528th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on January 10, 2008, and in the United States on June 21, 2008.
Brock leads his friends to the Mountain Hut Maid Café, where waitresses Spring, Summer, and Autumn serve up fresh Miltank milk. Spring and Summer's Miltank are perfectly trained, but Autumn's new Miltank, Ilta, won't listen to anything Autumn says. Autumn is ready to give up on Ilta, but Brock wants to repair the relationship between Trainer and Pokémon.
With Brock's guidance, Autumn tries to earn Ilta's trust, only to lose her temper when Ilta still doesn't do what she expects. When Autumn tries to get Ilta to cross a bridge, Autumn nearly falls off and has to be rescued by Brock and Happiny. Frustrated by her own clumsiness, she's ready to give up until Brock gives her some words of encouragement.
After Autumn helps protect Ilta from a swarm of Beedrill, it looks like Trainer and Pokémon just might make it after all. In the meantime, Team Rocket tries to duplicate the success of the Mountain Hut Maid Café, but they've hit a snag: they have no Miltank milk! To remedy the problem, they catch Brock and Autumn by surprise and fly off with both the Trainers and the real target, Ilta! Brock's Happiny uses Secret Power to put Team Rocket to sleep, allowing Brock and Autumn to escape and defeat Team Rocket. With Autumn and Ilta finally a team, our own team of heroes gets back on the road toward Veilstone City!
Brock, with his guidebook in hand, excitedly leads Ash and Dawn to the Mountain Hut Maid Café. There, they meet the three maids, Autumn, Spring, and Summer. Brock immediately goes for Spring and Summer, but is stopped by Croagunk. After recovering, Spring, Autumn, and Summer take the group to the barn for Miltank Moomoo Milk at their request. Once there, Spring's two Miltank and Summer's Miltank happily run into the barn, hooking themselves up to give Ash and friends a nice round of milk. Everyone sends out their Pokémon to enjoy it as well.
Brock then asks about Autumn's Miltank. She says her Miltank, nicknamed Ilta, is outside and doesn't listen to her since she just got her. She also claimed that she was thinking about releasing her since she 'isn't that cute anyway'. Brock jumps in, saying that Autumn shouldn't just give up on her Miltank. Spring then compliments on Brock's knowledge, causing Brock to proclaim his dream of becoming a great Pokémon Breeder. He also claims that he can help Autumn with any problems she may have with her Miltank, becoming quite flirtatious with Spring. Predictably, Croagunk Poison Jabs him once again. Summer then calls her sisters back to café, saying it's becoming full. Spring tells Autumn to stay with Brock while Dawn, Ash and their Pokémon don maid outfits and decide to help Spring and Summer serve customers. After seeing the Mountain Hut Maid Café, Team Rocket are inspired to build and operate their own café.
Meanwhile, Brock tells Autumn that a good way to bond with Pokémon is to gain its trust. Brock demonstrates by complimenting his Happiny. Autumn tries it for herself, repeating the process with Ilta. However Ilta ignores her Trainer and goes onto eat a nearby flower, much to Autumn's frustration. Brock simply walks over to Ilta, petting her head and asking her if the flower tasted good. When Autumn tries to do the same, Ilta belches in her face.
Switching over to a rickety bridge, Brock then suggests working on 'praise giving' by letting Pokémon overcome fear through kind words. Brock and Happiny successfully cross. With a bit of struggling, Brock gets Ilta to walk into the center of the bridge with a Pecha Berry. Ilta tries to continue, but the swaying action paralyzes her with fear. Brock reminds Autumn that she must cheer Ilta on. Upon doing so, Autumn smacks Ilta on the back, trying to be encouraging, but winds up tripping and falling over the side. Brock runs over to save her, grabbing onto her hand before it was too late. However, Brock, too, begins to fall off the bridge. Fortunately, in a spurt of quick thinking Happiny runs over and grabs Brock's leg, tossing both him and Autumn back onto the bridge. Autumn is left distraught over the incident, though Brock tries to reassure her.
Later, Brock requests that Autumn wash Ilta. Brock demonstrates, saying that it is a good way to make sure your Pokémon is healthy and looks good. When Autumn tries, she accidentally scrubs Ilta too much, covering Ilta's face with suds. She then runs to get some water, but accidentally splashes both Ilta and Brock. When she goes to get Brock a towel, she also slips on a bar of soap. When Brock inquires if Autumn is okay, Autumn tells him no and complains that she is clumsy and useless. Brock simply smiles, and asks how she can expect Ilta to listen to her if she keeps losing it. Finally, Autumn makes a U-turn, saying she won't cry again.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket's maid café receives its first two customers. However, the pair of boys are not happy with Team Rocket's coffee and claim it is 'just a cup of hot water'. After Jessie has a fit, the two leave saying that since there wasn't Miltank milk, they weren't going to stay. Hearing this, Jessie comes up with a plan to get the Miltank.
Later, Ilta comes across an apple tree and knocks down a swarm of Beedrill while trying to get some of the fruit. Autumn tries to shield Ilta from the oncoming swarm as Happiny saves the day with Secret Power. After escaping, Ilta gives Autumn a lick in recognition of her courage. Suddenly, Team Rocket appears, and captures both Ilta and Autumn. Seeing this, Brock jumps onto the net, so Team Rocket grabs him and Happiny as well. Team Rocket puts all of them in a cage, as they want some milk from Ilta, who refuses. Happiny is able to put Team Rocket to sleep with Secret Power, so they drop the key which allows the captive to escape. Wobbuffet later wakes Team Rocket up with a bucket of water and they see that Autumn, Brock, Ilta, and Happiny got away.
Team Rocket immediately starts to chase them, finally catching up and sending out their Pokémon. Ash and Dawn, seeing that Team Rocket have caught Brock and Autumn, catch up. Ash sends out Turtwig, commanding it to use Energy Ball, but Energy Ball hasn't been perfected yet. Before Dawn could help, Brock decides that he and Autumn should Tag Battle to strengthen the bond between them and their Pokémon. Seviper approaches with a Poison Tail, only to be Pounded away by Happiny. Ilita Tackles Carnivine out the way. Happiny goes onto throw Seviper directly into the rest of Team Rocket followed by a Pound attack. Ilita then uses Rollout to send Team Rocket blasting off.
Back at the barn, Ilta happily straps herself into the milking machine to give Autumn some milk. Autumn thanks Brock, however he is preoccupied with her sisters, and Croagunk promptly drags him away. Finally, Ash and friends say goodbye to the Maid Café, with some last reassuring words from Brock to Autumn. The sisters tell them to come back any time, and Brock prepares to rush back immediately, though Ash and Dawn drag him off. Autumn looks on lovingly at Brock as Ash and friends walk off down the road and towards Veilstone City for Ash's next Gym match.
- Brock's Happiny learns Secret Power and is also revealed to know Pound.
- Ash's Turtwig continues to learn Energy Ball.
- Dawn begins to suffer a lack of confidence after her recent Pokémon Contest losses.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Staravia (Ash's)
- Turtwig (Ash's)
- Chimchar (Ash's)
- Buizel (Ash's)
- Buneary (Dawn's)
- Pachirisu (Dawn's)
- Ambipom (Dawn's)
- Sudowoodo (Brock's)
- Croagunk (Brock's)
- Happiny (Brock's)
- Seviper (Jessie's)
- Carnivine (James's)
- Miltank (Autumn's; Ilta)
- Miltank (Spring's; ×2)
- Miltank (Summer's)
- Beedrill (multiple)
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia: Probopass
- Pokémon senryū: ダイノーズ しんかするなら テンガンざん Dainōzu, shinka suru nara, Tengan-zan. "Dainose, if it's going to evolve, Mt. Tengan."
- Message of the Wind replaced By Your Side ~Hikari's Theme~ as the Japanese ending theme.
- Amy Palant returns to dub the voice of Summer.
- Jessie's Wobbuffet is dressed in the same outfit that he wore in Claydol Big and Tall.
- Though Aipom evolved in Journey to the Unown!, the opening for this episode was not updated to include her evolution, which is something that also didn't happen with We Will Be Heroes, the English opening theme.
- When Ash and his friends are helping in the café, two guys are visiting. One of them wears a T-shirt with Marina on it and had a bandanna similar to May's.
- This episode has a similar theme to The Lotad Lowdown. Three sisters are introduced, Brock falls in love with the two older sisters, and the youngest sister is in love with Brock, resulting in the younger sister becoming jealous and angry at Brock when he doesn't pay attention to her.
- Music from Pikachu's PikaBoo and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew can be heard.
- The Team Rocket trio's original motto theme can be heard.
- This is the first episode of the season without a cold opening.
- The English dub title of this episode is derived from the saying "Thanks for the memories".
- Despite learning it in this episode, Brock's Happiny has not been seen using Secret Power again since.
- The Mountain Hut Maid Café is based on the Café Cabin from the games, and its name is nearly identical in the Japanese version with the addition of "Maid". However, this reference is less clear in the dub where its name is translated differently from the Café Cabin's.
- For a moment when Turtwig is on Ash's head, part of Ash's undershirt is colored black instead of white.
- In some scenes in the dub, Japanese Pokémon voiceovers can be heard over the English ones.
In other languages
|Czech||Díky za vzpomínky|
|Danish||Ikke græde over spildt mælk!|
|Dutch||Een tank vol herinneringen!|
|Finnish||Maidoissa on eroja!!|
|European French||Le Café des Demoiselles|
|German||Nett und geduldig...?!|
|Italian||Buon maestro, buoni consigli!|
|Korean||웅이의 엇갈린 사랑|
|Norwegian||Den melka glemmer du aldri|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Um Tanque de Preguiça!|
|Portugal||Obrigado pelas Memórias!|
|Russian||Спасибо за воспоминания|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Gracias por los recuerdos!|
|Spain||¡Gracias por los recuerdos!|
|Swedish||Mjölken du aldrig glömmer!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|