Open main menu

Bulbapedia β

Vermilion Gym
クチバジム Kuchiba Gym
Vermilion Gym anime.png
Location Vermilion City
Gym Leader Lt. Surge
Badge Thunder Badge
Dominant Type Electric
Region Kanto
Vermilion Gym Battlefield.png
Battlefield

The Vermilion Gym (Japanese: クチバジム Kuchiba Gym) is the official Gym of Vermilion City. It is based on Electric-type Pokémon. The Gym Leader is Lt. Surge. Trainers who defeat him receive the Thunder Badge.

Contents

In the games

Vermilion City
Pokémon Gym
Leader: Lt. Surge
The Lightning American!

Vermilion City
Pokémon Gym
Leader: Lt. Surge
The Lightning
American

Vermilion City Pokémon Gym
Leader: Lt. Surge
The Lightning American

Vermilion City Pokémon Gym
Leader: Lt. Surge
The Lightning American

In all games where HMs are present, either Cut or Surf is required to access the Vermilion Gym. In Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!, the Secret Technique Chop Down is required instead; the player cannot use Sea Skim due to the barriers erected around the Gym's exterior. The Gym guide declares that this is the prerequisite for challenging the Gym. Thus, in Generation VII, there is effectively no additional prerequisite for challenging the Gym, unlike most other Kanto Gyms.

Vermilion Gym appears in all games that include the Kanto region, appearing much the same in each: the main room contains 15 trash cans in three rows and five columns, and Trainers are scattered about this room. Another room lies behind the main room, guarded by electric doors in Generation I, and an electric fence from Generation III onward. The only way to get in the final room, where Lt. Surge is located, is to find two hidden switches inside the trash cans. Discounting glitches, the second switch is always next to (orthogonally adjacent to) the first switch. If the first switch is found, but the player incorrectly guesses the second one, the traps reset.

A field based on the Gym also appears in Pokémon Stadium's Gym Leader Castle and Stadium 2's Kanto Gym Leader Castle.

Puzzle mechanics

Generation I

Pokémon Red and Blue
  • The first switch can be in one of eight cans, forming a checkerboard pattern starting from the corners.
  • If the first can was one of the two in the middle column (with three neighbors):
    • Due to a glitch, the three neighboring cans each have a 25% chance of containing the second switch and the top-left can has a 25% chance (even though it is not adjacent).
  • If the first can was one of the other six (with two or four neighbors):
    • Due to a second glitch on top of the first glitch, there is a 50% chance that the can to the right contains the second switch, and a 50% chance that it is the top-left can. (If there is no can to the right, the 50% chance belongs to the only adjacent one in the same column.) The other one or three neighbors will never contain the second switch.

(Note that as a result of all of these, the leftmost can in the middle row can never contain either switch.)

Pokémon Yellow
  • The first switch can be in one of eight cans as in Red and Blue.
  • If the first can was one of the four corners:
    • There is a 25% chance that one neighbor contains the second switch, a 25% chance that the other neighbor contains the second switch, and a 50% chance that both neighbors contain the second switch (in which case either choice will unlock the door).
  • If the first can was the one in the second column:
    • There is a 50% chance that the west and north neighbors both contain the second switch, a 25% chance that only the south neighbor contains the second switch, and a 25% chance that only the east neighbor contains the second switch.
  • If the first can was the one in the fourth column:
    • There is a 50% chance that the west and north neighbors both contain the second switch, and a 50% chance that the south and east neighbors both contain the second switch.
  • If the first can was the top can of the middle column:
    • Due to yet another glitch, the game attempts to randomly pick from 256 possible pairs of cans for the second switch, most of which correspond to blank neighbor data or partially-invalid data about the neighbors of other cans[1]. As a result, there is a 216/256 (~84%) chance that only the top-left can has the second switch, a 2/256 (~0.8%) chance that no can has the second switch at all, and a 38/256 (~15%) chance that either one or two cans anywhere among the four rightmost columns have the second switch (with uneven probability).
  • If the first can was the bottom can of the middle column:
    • The above glitch applies but with slightly different data, resulting in a 225/256 (~88%) chance that only the top-left can has the second switch, a 1/256 (~0.4%) chance that no can has the second switch at all, and a 30/256 (~12%) chance that either one or two cans among the four rightmost columns have the second switch.

Generation II

The traps are not turned on.

Generations III and IV

The first switch is randomly in one of the 15 cans, and the second switch is randomly in one of the cans next to the first switch.

Generation VII

The fourth can in the bottom row is an empty red trash can, while the second can in the middle row is an empty blue trash can. When defeated, the Trainers in the Gym hint that a can next to the blue can contains a switch, while none of the cans next to the red can contain a switch. Together this narrows the switch locations down to two pairs of possibilities, with the correct locations being the center trash can and the can directly north of it. These locations will remain fixed even if the traps are reset. The two switches can be activated in either order.

Appearance

Vermilion Gym RBY.png Vermilion Gym GSC.png Vermilion Gym FRLG.png Vermilion Gym HGSS.png
Generation I Generation II Generation III Generation IV

Trainers

Core series

Pokémon Red and Blue
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor
Sailor
Reward: PokémonDollar.png630
025 Pikachu Lv.21
No item
025 Pikachu Lv.21
No item
Rocker
Rocker
Reward: PokémonDollar.png500
100 Voltorb Lv.20
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.20
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.20
No item
Gentleman
Gentleman
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1610
025 Pikachu Lv.23
No item



Pokémon Yellow
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor
Sailor
Reward: PokémonDollar.png720
081 Magnemite Lv.24
No item
Rocker
Rocker
Reward: PokémonDollar.png500
100 Voltorb Lv.20
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.20
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.20
No item
Gentleman
Gentleman
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1540
100 Voltorb Lv.22
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.22
No item



Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal
Trainer Pokémon
Juggler Horton
Juggler Horton
ジョナサン Jonathan
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1320
101 Electrode Lv.33
No item
101 Electrode Lv.33
No item
101 Electrode Lv.33
No item
101 Electrode Lv.33
No item
Guitarist Vincent
Guitarist Vincent
ジュンイチ Jun'ichi
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1024
081 Magnemite Lv.27
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.33
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.32
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.32
No item
Gentleman Gregory
Gentleman Gregory
アンソニー Anthony
Reward: PokémonDollar.png2376
025 Pikachu Lv.37
No item
180 Flaaffy Lv.33
No item
Trainers with a telephone symbol by their names will give their Pokégear number to the player, and may call or be called for a rematch with higher-level Pokémon.



Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor Dwayne
Sailor Dwayne
タツヒコ Tatsuhiko
Reward: PokémonDollar.png672
025 Pikachu Lv.21
No item
025 Pikachu Lv.21
No item
Engineer Baily
Engineer Baily
フミオ Fumio
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1008
100 Voltorb Lv.21
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.21
No item
Gentleman Tucker
Gentleman Tucker
オルソン Olson
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1656
025 Pikachu Lv.23
No item
Trainers with a Vs. Seeker by their names, when alerted for a rematch using the item, may use higher-level Pokémon.



Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
Trainer Pokémon
Juggler Horton
Juggler Horton
ジョナサン Jonathan
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1376
Potential Double Battle with Vincent
101 Electrode Lv.43
No item
101 Electrode Lv.43
No item
101 Electrode Lv.43
No item
Guitarist Vincent
Guitarist Vincent
ジュンイチ Jun'ichi
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1008
Potential Double Battle with Horton or Gregory
135 Jolteon Lv.45
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.43
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.42
No item
Gentleman Gregory
Gentleman Gregory
アンソニー Anthony
Reward: PokémonDollar.png8400
Potential Double Battle with Vincent
025 Pikachu Lv.46
No item
180 Flaaffy Lv.43
No item
309 Electrike Lv.42
No item
Trainers with a telephone symbol by their names will give their Pokégear number to the player, and may call or be called for a rematch with higher-level Pokémon.



Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor Dwayne
Sailor Dwayne
タツヒコ Tatsuhiko
Reward: PokémonDollar.png1,320
081 Magnemite Lv.22
No item
Rocker Baily
Rocker Baily
フミオ Fumio
Reward: PokémonDollar.png616
100 Voltorb Lv.22
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.22
No item
Gentleman Tucker
Gentleman Tucker
オルソン Olson
Reward: PokémonDollar.png2,640
025 Pikachu Lv.22
No item



Rematch


Side series

Pokémon Stadium
Round 1
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor
Sailor
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
066 Machop Lv.50-100
No item
021 Spearow Lv.50-100
No item
098 Krabby Lv.50-100
No item
079 Slowpoke Lv.50-100
No item
090 Shellder Lv.50-100
No item
055 Golduck Lv.50-100
No item
Rocker
Rocker
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
137 Porygon Lv.50-100
No item
100 Voltorb Lv.50-100
No item
101 Electrode Lv.50-100
No item
025 Pikachu Lv.50-100
No item
125 Electabuzz Lv.50-100
No item
081 Magnemite Lv.50-100
No item
Old Man
Old Man
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
058 Growlithe Lv.50-100
No item
032 Nidoran♂ Lv.50-100
No item
029 Nidoran♀ Lv.50-100
No item
077 Ponyta Lv.50-100
No item
005 Charmeleon Lv.50-100
No item
004 Charmander Lv.50-100
No item



Round 2
Trainer Pokémon
Sailor
Sailor
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
067 Machoke Lv.50-100
No item
022 Fearow Lv.50-100
No item
099 Kingler Lv.50-100
No item
080 Slowbro Lv.50-100
No item
057 Primeape Lv.50-100
No item
055 Golduck Lv.50-100
No item
Rocker
Rocker
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
137 Porygon Lv.50-100
No item
042 Golbat Lv.50-100
No item
101 Electrode Lv.50-100
No item
026 Raichu Lv.50-100
No item
115 Kangaskhan Lv.50-100
No item
082 Magneton Lv.50-100
No item
Old Man
Old Man
Reward: PokémonDollar.pngN/A
047 Parasect Lv.50-100
No item
059 Arcanine Lv.50-100
No item
071 Victreebel Lv.50-100
No item
053 Persian Lv.50-100
No item
005 Charmeleon Lv.50-100
No item
012 Butterfree Lv.50-100
No item



Pokémon Stadium 2
Round 1


Round 2


Items

Item Location Games
TM Electric TM24 (Thunderbolt) Reward for defeating Lt. Surge  R  B  Y 
TM Electric TM34 (Shock Wave) Reward for defeating Lt. Surge  FR  LG  HG  SS 
Autograph Autograph Reward for defeating Lt. Surge  P  E 
TM Electric VI TM36 (Thunderbolt) Reward for defeating Lt. Surge  P  E 

In the anime

In the main series

Vermilion Gym's only anime appearance was in Electric Shock Showdown. Its appearance resembles that of a warehouse, with lightning bolts painted on it. Lt. Surge also has several junior Trainers in military-style uniforms working under him.

Ash and his friends arrived at the Gym for Ash's third Gym battle, with Surge calling Ash a baby and calling him out on not having evolved his Pikachu yet. Ash was determined to prove Surge wrong, but his Pikachu was easily defeated by Surge's Raichu. Later, Ash challenged Surge to a rematch, having figured out that Raichu's weakness was that it had evolved too fast, never learning the speed moves it could only learn as a Pikachu. With his superior speed and new Agility and Quick Attack, Ash's Pikachu was able to overwhelm Surge's Raichu and defeat it, earning Ash the Thunder Badge and Surge's respect.

Pokémon used in Gym

Lt. Surge's Raichu
Raichu
Main article: Lt. Surge's Raichu

Raichu made its appearance in Electric Shock Showdown, when Surge used it to battle Ash's Pikachu.

Debut Electric Shock Showdown
Voice actors
Japanese Urara Takano
English Urara Takano

In Pokémon Origins

Vermilion Gym in Pokémon Origins

Red was seen visiting the Vermilion Gym in File 2: Cubone. He had a tough battle against the Gym Leader, Lt. Surge, but was able to pull through and earn the Thunder Badge.

Pokémon used in Gym

Lt. Surge's Raichu
Raichu
Main article: Lt. Surge's Raichu

Raichu was used in Red and Surge's Gym battle, but was defeated off-screen.

Debut File 2: Cubone

In the manga

The Vermilion Gym in Pokémon Zensho

In the Pokémon Zensho manga

The Vermilion Gym appeared in Vermilion City, where Satoshi challenged Lt. Surge. The Gym battle was conducted between Satoshi's Charmeleon and Lt. Surge's Electabuzz. Even though Charmeleon was driven into a corner, it was able to use a piece of the barbed-wire fence surrounding the arena to tie Electabuzz up and then finish it off with a Fire-type attack. After the battle, Satoshi received a Thunder Badge from Lt. Surge and an HM01 (Cut) from the captain of the S.S. Anne, whom he had met earlier and was friends with Lt. Surge.

In the TCG

The Vermilion Gym was featured in the TCG as both a Japan-exclusive Theme Deck and as a card. The following is a list of cards named Vermilion City Gym.

Related cards
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
Card Type English
Expansion
Rarity # Japanese
Expansion
Rarity #
Vermilion City Gym T [St] Gym Heroes Uncommon 120/132 Leaders' Stadium Uncommon  
 

Trivia

References