Art from X and Y
|Relatives|| AZ's younger brother (ancestor)|
AZ (ancestor's brother)
|Trainer class|| Team Flare|
Team Flare Boss*
|Games||X, Y, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon|
|Member of|| Team Flare|
Team Rainbow Rocket
|Rank||Boss (Team Flare)|
|Game animation debut||The Beauty Eternal|
|English voice actor||Unknown|
|Japanese voice actor||Hiroki Touchi|
|Anime debut||Mega Evolution Special I|
|English voice actor||H.D. Quinn|
|Japanese voice actor||Hideaki Tezuka|
|Spoiler warning: this article may contain major plot or ending details.|
Lysandre (Japanese: フラダリ Fuladari) is the boss of Team Flare and the primary antagonist of Pokémon X and Y, who seeks to create a new, beautiful world in his own image. He is also the owner of Lysandre Labs, the company that created the Holo Caster. He is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Team Flare Boss (Japanese: フレアだんボス Team Flare Boss).
In the games
In Pokémon X and Y, the player first meets Lysandre in Professor Sycamore's lab in Lumiose City seeing potential in them, and then later in Café Soleil where he is seen talking to Diantha about her acting career. He discusses with her about the idea of eternal beauty, but she quickly dismisses the idea, claiming that she does not look for such a thing, much to Lysandre's annoyance. After this, he spots the player, where he speaks about his dream of a beautiful world.
Following this, Lysandre doesn't reappear until much later, after the player has defeated Clemont for his or her fifth Badge. This time, he speaks about the king of Kalos who nearly vaporized all life in the region 3,000 years ago by usage of a weapon. He also speaks about Xerneas'sX/Yveltal'sY role in the creation of the ultimate weapon, as well as their role in the creation of life and destruction as a whole. After this, Lysandre will regularly communicate with the player through the Holo Caster, monitoring their progress, and constantly showing his vision for a beautiful world as well as asking him/her to reconsider his proposal and join him on his cause.
Lysandre then appears after the player has received his or her seventh Badge. At this point, it is revealed through his Holo Caster message that he is the leader of Team Flare, and that he plans to use the weapon which he spoke about earlier in order to eliminate anyone not part of Team Flare, surprising both the player and their neighbor. The player later confronts Lysandre in person at the lab beneath his café as he wishes to test the player's resolve, and is then battled and defeated. Lysandre admires the player's resolve and strength and instructs him that if he wishes to stop him, he must get the elevator key from one of four Team Flare's scientists the player already met, while he retreats underground.
After the player obtains the Key and descends further into the lab, he/she meets with Lysandre who is speaking with a tall man behind bars known as AZ, who Lysandre introduces as someone who "shares the name of the previous King of Kalos" as well as possessing the key of the ultimate weapon. After AZ tells the player the tragedy left by the ultimate weapon and asks him/her to stop the device from being used, Lysandre invites the player deeper underground if he/she wishes to stop him. The player descends and he/she meets Lysandre talking with Xerosic. Lysandre then tells the player to battle Xerosic and if he/she is successful against the scientist, then they will stop their scheme. After the player defeats Xerosic, he has them push one of two buttons, one of which activates the weapon. However, pushing the correct one unfortunately does not stop Xerosic from unleashing the weapon on Kalos. (If the player chooses the blue button he will activate the weapon by remote control, otherwise the player activates the weapon.)
Lysandre is later found again at the site of the ultimate weapon in Geosenge Town where the player's rival questions him about his extreme measures to fix the world, which he replies that they are the only possible solution for he thinks humans are inherently evil and greedy. He uses the analogy of them competing over their Mega Ring as an example that when something cannot be shared, people will fight for it, for someone must live with it and some without and as such, more tragedies are likely to happen and therefore, the only solution is to reduce the human population. When further questioned about Pokémon, he tearfully claims that Pokémon, while magnificent beings, are condemned to be used by humans and, for the greater good, are best annihilated.
He is then battled again as he simply seeks to stall for time against the player. The player defeats Lysandre once again, and he shows further admiration for the player's strength. He then challenges the player to travel deeper into the Team Flare Secret HQ to stop the weapon despite his belief that it is already too late, but multiple members of Team Flare are waiting in ambush on the lower floors. After defeating them, the player reaches Xerneas or Yveltal. The legendary Pokémon is then battled and caught by the player, seemingly disabling the weapon. Lysandre returns, having augmented his body with cybernetic attachments and a visor similar to those worn by his followers, and he declares that he will take the legendary Pokémon back and complete his plan. Now wielding a Mega Ring of his own, he engages the player in a final battle.
After being defeated for the third and final time, Lysandre expresses his disgust towards the fact that his beautiful world will never be a reality. The player and his/her friends attempt to reason with him, saying that if people cooperate together, a better world is possible, and they use the Mega Evolution achieved by him as proof of the bond he has with his Pokémon. He, however, rejects the idea as mere naivety and then attempts to force immortality on the player and their friendsX/kill everyone in the buildingY and fires the ultimate weapon using what little power still remains. The blast from the weapon destroys the building and seemingly buries Lysandre and the HQ under rubble. As a result, Team Flare disbands.
Later on in the game, an NPC in Snowbelle City who is an old friend of Lysandre mentions that Lysandre had noble intentions and did his best to help people in need, but was eventually convinced of humanity's stupidity, along with his own limitations which resulted in him becoming a misanthrope.
Lysandre appears as a member of Team Rainbow Rocket in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. He is one of the second pair of bosses the player must face, along with Cyrus. This Lysandre was summoned from a world where his plans succeeded. However, as he explains to the player, a bright light consumed him when he fired the ultimate weapon and was transported to the game's world. He has his Team Rainbow Rocket Grunts set up devices with red and blue buttons in his office within Team Rocket's Castle. Then, he subjects the player to the same choice the player in Kalos was subjected to, claiming that one button will activate the ultimate weapon and the other will open the path to Giovanni. However, no matter which button the player chooses, it will be the one that activates the weapon. Lysandre then tells the player that pushing the opposite button will prevent it from firing. However, in order to buy time for the weapon to fire, Lysandre battles the player, using XerneasUS/YveltalUM as part of his team. When he is defeated, he allows the player to press the other button, ostensibly shutting down the ultimate weapon, as well as unlocking one of the two seals needed to reach Giovanni. Lysandre then wonders if things would have been different in his world if he had met a Trainer like the player. He then rejects that line of thought, resolving that he must bring about his beautiful world.
Pokémon X and Y
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
Lysandre's Pokémon are kept in Master Balls. His final Pokémon differs between the two versions.
Pokémon Ultra Sun
Pokémon Ultra Moon
Pokémon X and Y
- Sycamore Pokémon Laboratory
- "So, I will be able to meet them soon, then."
- "The children chosen by the professor… I wonder what potential they have."
- "Oh! You received a Pokédex from the professor then… How wonderful! That is a wonderful thing, indeed. You are one of the chosen ones. I am Lysandre. I've tried to learn as much about Pokémon as I can to help build a brighter future. Professor Sycamore has taught me so much. Oh, I see you have a Holo Caster! Knowledge is power, after all. Put it to good use. Now listen! It is vital that this world become a better place. And the people and Pokémon chosen to make the world better must work tirelessly to achieve this goal. Well, I'll be off. Please give Professor Sycamore my best. My desire…it is for a more beautiful world!"
- Café Soleil
- "You played a young girl so wonderfully in your debut on the silver screen. Wouldn't you rather remain young and beautiful forever and always play such roles?"
- "You were chosen to be a movie star, correct? Isn't it your duty to be ever beautiful? Everything beautiful should stay that way forever. I would make this world unchanging and eternal so all beauty will last forever.X/I would end the world in an instant so that beauty never fades.Y I can't stand the thought of the world becoming uglier."
- "Oh. Hello, <player>. This is Diantha, one of the most accomplished movie stars in Kalos. She moves the multitudes with her excellent acting... Which is to say, she dedicates her life to making other people happy. Oh! If only everyone were like her--what a beautiful world this would be! If you'll excuse me."
- Lysandre Café
- "I would like to congratulate you as well. Mega Evolution is something I, too, would like to be able to use."
- "True. I'm a descendant of the king's younger brother. That being said, that story is 3,000 years old, so it might not be entirely reliable."
- "People can be divided into two groups. Those who give... And those who take... It's just as how the Kalos region's two Legendary Pokémon gave life and took life."
- "I want to be the kind of person who gives... But in this world, some foolish humans exist who would show their strength by taking what isn't theirs."
- "They're filth!"
- "Long, long ago, the king of Kalos sought to take everything for his own, and he created a terrible weapon. Then the fire of destruction was unleashed... That is the legend that has been passed down."
- "Kalos is beautiful right now! There will be no foolish actions if the number of people and Pokémon do not increase. That being said, the future isn't decided. You can't be sure each day will be like the one before."
- "What the king of Kalos did was reprehensible, but... The ultimate weapon did manage to wash the world clean of that era's filth."
- "Thank you for listening. Take that as an apology for my taking up your time."
- Coumarine City (Holo Caster)
- "Professor Sycamore told me you can now wield Mega Evolution. That is truly wonderful. With that power, you can steer your future in a better direction! We can't just cover up the old filth with new filth! I implore you to consider what we need to do to change the world into a new, beautiful world!"
- Route 15 (Holo Caster)
- "According to Professor Sycamore's research, Mega Evolution releases all of a Pokémon's hidden energy at once. The Pokémon then exhibits a level of power it could not attain through ordinary Evolution. What meaning can we draw from this? Do all people and Pokémon have such potential, or is it hidden within a chosen few?"
- Anistar City (Holo Caster)
- "Pokémon Trainers. I come to you by the Holo Caster to make an important announcement. Listen well. Team Flare will revive the ultimate weapon, eliminate everyone who isn't in our group, and return the world to a beautiful, natural state. Unproductive fools are consuming our future... If nothing changes, the world will become ugly and conflicts will raze the land from end to end. I repeat. We will use the ultimate weapon and wipe the slate clean. I'm sorry, those of you who are not members of Team Flare, but this is adieu to you all."
- Before battle
- "This world will eventually reach the point of no return... Saving the lives of all is impossible. Only the chosen ones will obtain a ticket to tomorrow. Do you want to have a ticket? Or, do you want to stop me? Show me in battle."
- Being defeated
- "Excellent! I can feel the fire of your convictions burning deep within your heart!"
- After being defeated
- "Wah ha ha! Your convictions, and those of your Pokémon, please me! You are here to stop me. But I ask you to wait. I tried to save people--and the world--with the profit from this lab. But my efforts had no effect... The world was just too vast...and too full of fools that I couldn't save through my hard work alone... That's why I decided the only way to save the world was to take it all for myself. I don't expect that I will ever make you understand how I think and feel... Try to stop the ultimate weapon if you must, but to do so, you will have to explore our lab and have Pokémon battles with all you meet."
- "Oh, and as for the Elevator Key, one of the Team Flare Scientists you've met on your journey has it."
- "Saving everything... The world is suffering because of this absurd dream..."
- "That is AZ. He has the same name as a king that lived 3,000 years ago. And for some unknown reason, he had the key to the ultimate weapon hung around his neck. It's finally time. Follow me to my chambers."
- "The only thing left to do is put the plan in motion. I'm counting on you."
- "One push of a button, and we can activate the ultimate weapon from this room."
- "I believe being a chosen one means you have the potential to change the future! Whether we activate the ultimate weapon or leave it safely underground will rest upon if you actually have this potential or not."
- Team Flare Secret HQ
- "The ultimate weapon's flower has finally bloomed above the soil. Don't you find its beauty captivating? As we speak, it draws its energy from the Legendary Pokémon. <player>! I apologize that the weapon was unearthed even after you chose correctly in the lab. But conflicting egos drive this world--things don't always go the way you want!"
- "Even though resources, space, and energy on this planet are limited, the number of people and Pokémon has increased to an unsustainable level. Whether it's money or energy, the ones who steal are the ones who win in this world."
- "So, tell me. The Mega Ring, did you share it?"
- "When there is only one of something, it can't be shared. When something can't be shared, it will be fought over. And when something is fought over, some must survive without it. The only way to create a world where people live in beauty, a world without conflict or theft, is to reduce the number of living things."
- "Pokémon... Shall no longer exist. Pokémon are wonderful beings. Humans have worked with Pokémon, and we have helped each other flourish. But precisely because of that, they will inevitably become tools for war and theft!"
- Before battle
- "Enough of this. You want to stop the ultimate weapon, and I refuse to do so. So, I will keep you busy for just a moment..."'
- Being defeated
- "The strength to protect, huh? But what are you really protecting? A tomorrow that will only end up being worse than today?"
- After being defeated
- "You're as strong as ever. But... It's too late! There's no hope for you now! Go down to the lowest floor, and see for yourself!"
- Legendary Pokémon Room
- Before battle
- "What a startling development! I never would've thought you were really a chosen one!"
- "So THIS is the mighty XerneasX/YveltalY?! I expected more from a Pokémon called a legend! You desire help from people? YOU need help from a human?"
- "For me, victory is using the ultimate weapon. In order to do that, I need to reclaim the Legendary Pokémon's power and send it to that weapon once again. I'll be taking the Legendary Pokémon back now! This time, I won't lose. I, too, shall use the Mega Ring and Mega Stone that you researched during your travels."
- Being defeated
- "It's over... Fools with no vision will continue to befoul this beautiful world. They will go on until the only thing left to do is squabble over the remaining scraps of hope..."
- After being defeated
- "If that were possible, all wars would have ended long ago! I can only see one future! One where selfish, foolish humans think about nothing other than themselves and steal more and more from one another... It's a tragic future!"
- "The original purpose of this device was to bring a Pokémon back to life. But the ancient king transformed it into this ultimate weapon... Hmm. When the Legendary Pokémon awakened, it took back much of its energy--its power--that had been sent to the ultimate weapon. There's not much power left... But there IS enough to use it once..."
- "<player>, Sycamore's pupils... Let us live forever... That's right! I shall grant you eternal life! I'll give you the pain of endlessly waiting for a beautiful world to finally be built!X/The ultimate weapon is a flower that bloomed to no avail... Just like me... But this ends here! I will show what its remaining power can do!Y"
Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
- "You must be the intruder I keep hearing about."
- "I am Lysandre."
- "I had triggered my ultimate weapon to wipe out all the fools—everyone except Team Flare... But at that moment, a bright light swallowed me and I wandered into this world."
- "No matter. My purpose remains the same. Which world I'm in is not important. The only way to create a world where people live in beauty, a world without conflict or theft..."
- "Behind me, you see two buttons. One will open the path for you, and help you move forward... The other will trigger my ultimate weapon, and destroy all that there is in this world!"
- "...So, make your choice. I believe being a chosen one means you have the potential to change the future! Whether we activate the ultimate weapon or leave it safely underground will rest upon if you actually have this potential or not."
- After pressing a button
- "... ... ... ... ... ... Unfortunately... You are not a chosen one!"
- "You will destroy the world you tried to protect, by your own hand! However... There is still time before my ultimate weapon is fully activated. Press the other button before it fires, and you will be able to stop it."
- "...Of course, I refuse to allow that. So, I will keep you busy for a moment."
- Before battle
- "The future you want, or the future I want... Let us see which one is more deserving, shall we?"
- Being defeated
- "I can feel the fire of your convictions burning deep within your heart!"
- After being defeated
- "The strength to protect, huh? ...Very well. Go on, press the button."
- After pressing the second button
- "You have stopped my ultimate weapon, and also you have taken one step more toward your goal."
- "Maybe...if my world had a Trainer like you, the path I chose could have been different... No! Nothing can change me now! If there is a path to creating a beautiful world, then that is the path I must take! Even if it means I can only save a handful of the old world!"
| Official artwork from the|
| VS model from
X and Y
| VS model as Team Flare Boss from
X and Y
| In-battle model from
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
| VS model from|
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
| Overworld model from
X and Y
| Overworld model as Team Flare Boss from
X and Y
| Overworld model from|
Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
In the anime
In the main series
In the Mega Evolution Specials
Lysandre debuted in Mega Evolution Special I. Though he was not identified as the caller at the time, he contacted Alain via the Holo Caster, directing him to where a new Mega Stone could be found. He also was seen observing the power of Alain's Mega Charizard X during its battle with Siebold's Mega Blastoise.
In Mega Evolution Special II, Lysandre traveled to Hoenn, intervened in Alain's battle with Steven, and introduced Alain and Steven properly to each other. It was revealed that in the past, he defeated Alain in a battle over an Ampharosite, then took Alain to Lysandre Labs and recruited him to work in a project to harness the energy of Mega Evolution for peaceful purposes. Lysandre was also the one who awarded Alain his Mega Ring and Charizardite X, though he asked Alain to not tell Professor Sycamore of the research, fearing that people with bad intentions would bring harm to him in order to obtain it. Later, he traveled with Alain, Mairin, and Steven to a ruin, where they uncovered an ancient Giant Rock. However, his research on the Giant Rock accidentally summoned Rayquaza, who destroyed the area. After the encounter with Rayquaza, Lysandre discovered a similar energy reading to the Giant Rock near Rustboro City, and asked Alain to go there and investigate. He also covertly ordered Alain to keep a close eye on Steven, for the Hoenn League Champion had precious information on Mega Evolution.
In Mega Evolution Special III, Lysandre gave instructions to Alain and Steven. After Mega Rayquaza defeated both Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre, he had the Giant Rock, which had reappeared during the battle of the Legendary Pokémon, taken away with his submarine for further studies.
In Mega Evolution Special IV, Lysandre observed Alain's battles against ten Mega Evolution Trainers while his scientists researched the Giant Rock. After Chespie, Mairin's Chespin, who had interfered with the experiments performed on a Zygarde Core, was hospitalized, Lysandre told the victorious Alain that he had to continue gather data on Mega Evolution if Chespie was to recover. He was also shown to be close to Malva, who served as Alain's final opponent.
In A Meeting of Two Journeys!, Lysandre was contacted by Alain via Holo Caster, who wanted to know if Mairin's Chespie's condition had improved or not. Later, he reappeared in the next episode, overseeing the operation to capture Z2 alongside Xerosic. At the end of the episode, he received Z2.
In Kalos League Passion with a Certain Flare!, Lysandre was talking to a man inside a building at the Lumiose Conference. He soon got a call on a Holo Caster that an Admin was holding, from Xerosic, who was in the front seat of a truck that was just outside the Lumiose Gym. Later on at night, he met Ash for the first time and discussed the capability of Ash's Greninja to take on its different form in battle. After his conversation with him, he was shown with an annoyed expression, before turning towards the Lumiose Gym and smirked. Lysandre later talked to Mairin after she ran up to him and he put on a happy expression. The next day, Lysandre was seated in a private viewing box inside the Lumiose Conference's stadium with a glass window, along with Mairin and the same Admin, and they all watched as Ash and Alain each walked towards their respective sides of the battlefield in the Lumiose Conference's stadium, for the final round of the Conference.
In Finals Not for the Faint-Hearted! and Down to the Fiery Finish!, Lysandre watched Ash and Alain's battle in the finals of the Lumiose Conference. Towards the end of the latter episode, his true egotistical, narcissistic nature is revealed as he uses the power of Z2 to bring the whole of Kalos into his control, taking over Lumiose City and subsequently the Lumiose Conference, which had just been concluded.
In A Towering Takeover!, Lysandre revealed himself as the leader of Team Flare to a captured Ash. He also televised a message to the citizens of Kalos about his plan for creating a new, beautiful world for Team Flare.
In Coming Apart at the Dreams!, Lysandre explained his motivations. Much like in the games, he once had a generous nature and would help those in need. However, after those he supported grew accustomed to his aid and turned greedy, he became disillusioned with the human race. Because of this, he intended to "restart" the world, and he attempted to control Ash and Greninja the same way he did with Zygarde, so that Ash could become the guide of the new world. Ash, however, defied Lysandre and used the Bond Phenomenon to break free. Following this turn of events, Lysandre equipped his machine and started a fight with Ash and the defecting Alain using his Pyroar and his Shiny Mega Gyarados. Pyroar was defeated through a joint attack by Noivern, Hawlucha, and Pikachu.
In The Right Hero for the Right Job!, Lysandre defeated the majority of Ash's team. He was surprised when Malva appeared to help Alain and Ash, but nonetheless remained confident even after Clemont and Bonnie freed the two Zygarde under his control.
In Rocking Kalos Defenses!, Lysandre was finally beaten by Ash and Alain. Refusing to surrender, Lysandre seemingly killed himself by jumping off the tower. It was afterwards revealed that Lysandre had planned for the Giant Rock to transform into a copy of Zygarde, which would engulf the Anistar City Sundial and release enough energy to wipe out all life on the planet. He made one final appearance in Forming a More Perfect Union!, where he revived the Giant Rock after it had been temporarily stopped by Ash, Alain, Steven, Malva, Diantha, and all of the Kalos Gym Leaders. He was ultimately defeated by Squishy and Z2 after they transformed into Zygarde Complete Forme and destroyed the Giant Rock. Lysandre was last seen being engulfed by Zygarde's Core Enforcer, leaving his final fate unclear.
This article is missing information on this character's Japanese voice actor and English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
|Debut||Mega Evolution Special II|
|Lysandre's Shiny Gyarados first appeared in Coming Apart at the Dreams!, where it was sent out to battle Ash and Alain. Gyarados is able to Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados. It is shown to be an extremely powerful combatant. After its ally Pyroar was defeated, it single-handedly fought a group of seven Pokémon from Ash's entire team and Alain, including two Mega-level and four fully evolved Pokémon along with Ash's Pikachu, eventually knocking out all of Ash's Pokémon except Greninja and Pikachu. Even after Malva's Mega Houndoom joined the fight, it managed to continue battling. Gyarados was eventually defeated by a combined attack from Charizard, Pikachu, and Greninja.|
|Debut||Coming Apart at the Dreams!|
Z2 was captured by Team Flare and later given to Lysandre in An Explosive Operation!, and was eventually used by Lysandre to gain power over the entire Kalos region in Down to the Fiery Finish!. Squishy was enthralled in Coming Apart at the Dreams! after losing to its fellow Zygarde. Both Zygarde were freed in The Right Hero for the Right Job!.
|Debut||An Explosive Operation!|
|English||Billy Bob Thompson|
In Pokémon Generations
This article is missing information on this character's English voice actor.
You can help by adding this information.
Lysandre appeared in The Beauty Eternal. His announcement and release of the Holo Caster was detailed, showing him as a popular and successful businessman. He was later seen discussing with Diantha about the concept of eternal beauty. Afterwards, he was interviewed by some reporters over his involvement with some secret plans, but he didn't reveal any information. Lysandre was then seen at the Team Flare Secret HQ, conducting experiments on Yveltal in the hopes of creating a more beautiful world.
Pyroar is Lysandre's only known Pokémon.
|Debut||The Beauty Eternal|
| Yveltal was first seen as a cocoon in the Team Flare Secret HQ. Lysandre conducted some experiments on Yveltal in the hopes of creating a more beautiful world.
None of Yveltal's moves are known.
|Debut||The Beauty Eternal|
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Lysandre makes his first appearance in Professor Sycamore's lab. The professor shows him a video of the battle between Xerneas and Yveltal that happened in Vaniville Town. Lysandre notes from the footage that Xerneas can give life while Yveltal takes it. He asks Sycamore to give him a copy of the footage for further study.
After meeting with Professor Sycamore in Lumiose City, Trevor is sent to Lysandre Café to meet with Lysandre and get his broken Holo Caster repaired. As he and his friends wait for the repair job to be finished, Trevor notices Lysandre's silhouetted figure in a photo of the Vaniville Town incident. Trevor immediately becomes suspicious of Lysandre and fears that he may be behind the attack. Lysandre notices this behavior and asks to see the photo. When Trevor refuses, Lysandre sends his Pokémon out to threaten him. He is stopped by the arrival of Diantha, who uses her Mega Gardevoir to threaten Lysandre into backing off. Lysandre gets a call from Xerosic, who has discovered the tree form of Xerneas at Route 8 and asks whether or not to begin moving the tree to Team Flare's base. Lysandre hangs up the call and goes to leave on other business. He leaves Trevor's repaired Holo Caster on the desk and bids Diantha farewell. Later, he travels through the skies on top of his Gyarados. He notes that Gyarados is more excited than usual due to witnessing Mega Evolution with its own eyes. Lysandre assures Gyarados that it too will be able to Mega Evolve as he opens his hand to reveal a Mega Stone.
Later, Lysandre returns to Team Flare Secret HQ after Xerneas's tree form has been successfully transported. Xerosic presents Lysandre with the Lysandre Machine, which he forced a captive Clemont to build for them. Lysandre also receives a Mega Ring fitted with a Key Stone that Celosia stole from Korrina. He then activates the Lysandre Machine and prepares to use it to absorb Xerneas's energy and power the ultimate weapon. Later, Lysandre is interrupted by X, who had broken into the headquarters in order to put a stop to Team Flare's plan. Lysandre battles with X and uses his Key Stone to Mega Evolve his Gyarados.
Despite X having three Pokémon capable of Mega Evolving, he does not use it against Lysandre. Lysandre is surprised when his Mega Gyarados is attacked by X's Li'l Kanga, which Mega Evolved in secret by hiding in its mother's pouch. While he watches the two fight, Xerosic notices that the energy used to power the machine is being drained. X reveals that his Élec used its Lightning Rod to pull the electricity into its tail. Immediately afterward, Xerneas awakens from its slumber. Despite the appearance of the Legendary Pokémon, Lysandre is not fazed, as he noticed that Xerneas is in its blue Neutral Mode, which he states is nothing to get worried about.
X's friends and allies arrive at Geosenge Town, where they find the ultimate weapon in the process of being unearthed. The Gym Leaders and Y attempt to stop the ultimate weapon from being activated while Trevor, Tierno, and Shauna head inside the Team Flare Secret HQ to help X. As they make their way to the ultimate weapon's control room, Trevor and his friends meet AZ, the immortal former king of Kalos that Lysandre stole the ultimate weapon's activation key from. They befriend AZ and free him from his jail cell. When Trevor's group arrives at the control room, they find that X has already been defeated.
Upon seeing Lysandre's face, Trevor goes into a rage and fear-filled frenzy and goes to the platform where Lysandre is currently standing. Trevor yells at Lysandre to remove the key, only for Lysandre to suggest that Trevor do it himself. In response, Trevor has his Flabébé blast Lysandre off of the platform and immediately begins attempting to remove the key. Tierno and Shauna go up to assist Trevor, but the weapon is fired despite their success in removing the key. Despite this, the combined efforts of Trevor, his friends, and the Gym Leaders weakened the ultimate weapon to the point where no innocent lives are taken. As he has Xerneas take X and his friends back to the surface, AZ gloats over the heroes efforts to stop Lysandre's ambition just after being captured by Xerosic's Malamar.
Although Team Flare blamed the ultimate weapon's blast on X's friends and the Gym Leaders, their efforts did not fool every person in the region. To lay low from the public view, Team Flare relocated to the Pokémon Village. While there, Lysandre begins training with his Pokémon while taking shelter inside of a cave. After Xerosic discovers the stones lining Route 10 are also another form of the Absorber, Team Flare begins capturing the Pokémon inside the village and has them put on the stones in order to drain their life energy.
These actions gain Team Flare the anger of Mewtwo, the protector of the Pokémon Village. When X and Blue arrive at the village to stop Team Flare, they find Lysandre in battle with Mewtwo. Lysandre manipulates Mewtwo into battling X and Blue so that it may be weakened enough to be captured. Despite having battled together, Blue's attempt to get Mewtwo to recognize him ends in failure. During the battle, Mewtwo attacks X and Blue, but redirects the attack towards Lysandre to hit him instead. Mewtwo then proceeds to Mega Evolve into Mega Mewtwo Y. As Mewtwo battles Lysandre's Pokémon, Blue notices another person in the distance who was responsible for Mega Evolving Mewtwo.
Lysandre retaliates by activating a remote control device to summon Essentia and Zygarde from underground. Lysandre reveals that he had the limiters on Essentia's suit removed, allowing him to fully control her as if she were a puppet. By using a speaker system, Lysandre can speak into the device and have Essentia repeat his words so that he can command Zygarde to attack. The person who Mega Evolved Mewtwo, Blaine, reveals himself and proceeds to assist X and Blue. Lysandre retaliates by having Zygarde attack everyone with Land's Wrath, causing heavy damage. The damage dealt to Blaine forces Mewtwo to revert back to its normal state, but Blaine counters by using his connection with Mewtwo to have it Mega Evolve to Mega Mewtwo X.
While Zygarde battles against Mewtwo, X decides to sever Lysandre's control of Zygarde by attacking Essentia. Though successful in breaking her helmet, X is shocked to find that Essentia is actually Emma. Although Emma initially refuses to stop working for Lysandre so that she may pay Cassius for taking her in, X's words convince Emma that what she is doing is wrong. Despite this, Lysandre continues to use the controller to force Emma to control Zygarde. Cassius soon arrives and tells Emma that she doesn't need to work with Team Flare and has his Gourgeist destroy Lysandre's controller, breaking his connection to Zygarde. Now freed, Emma attempts to have Zygarde attack Lysandre, only for his Gyarados to attack her. Lysandre takes Zygarde's Poké Ball, thus making Zygarde his to command. Lysandre has Zygarde attack with another Land's Wrath, causing everyone to be sent flying. Y, seeing that Lysandre was distracted by the attack, decides to take the chance to have her Solsol bite Lysandre's hand. Lysandre has Pyroar attack Solsol, but is unable to prevent his Mega Ring from being taken away. Angered at the loss of the ability to use Mega Evolution, Lysandre has his Gyarados blast Y away with Hydro Pump.
Despite the loss of his Mega Ring, Lysandre proceeds to make a speech to the entire Kalos region and tells them about his plan to destroy everything with the ultimate weapon. Once Lysandre has finished, X returns with his entire team sent out. X reveals that he borrowed the Key Stones from his allies and uses all five to Mega Evolve five Pokémon at once. Though he is impressed by this feat, Lysandre is unfazed by X's attempt and sends Zygarde to battle X's Mega-Evolved team. The strain of controlling multiple Mega-Evolved Pokémon proves to be too much for X, causing him to be unable to focus on anything other than Zygarde. Lysandre attempts to exploit X's weakness by having his Pokémon attack, only for them to be defeated by Blue's Charizard and Mewtwo.
As X's team continues their attack, X's friends notice that Zygarde's body has begun to break apart. Y's Xerxer reveals that this is due to it and Yveltal returning to their dormant tree and cocoon forms. After Xerxer and Yveltal fully revert, X has his team launch one final combined attack on Zygarde, which causes it to fully break apart. With Zygarde gone, Lysandre begins falling to the ground below him. As he falls, Malva attempts to help Lysandre, but both end up landing onto the sharp rubble below. As he lays in a pool of blood, Lysandre weakly asks the unconscious Malva why the ultimate weapon has not been fired yet.
Lysandre reappeared silhouetted in a flashback when Sina and Dexio was explaining about Zygarde's presence in Alola.
|Gyarados is Lysandre's first known Pokémon. He was first seen with his Trainer in Lumiose City watching the footage of Xerneas and Yveltal's battle in Vaniville Town. At Lysandre Café, Gyarados was used to scare Trevor before being stopped by Diantha, who had her Gardevoir Mega Evolve to make her back off. Later, Lysandre talks to Gyarados about how he will be able to one day Mega Evolve now that he has his respective Mega Stone. When X attacked the Team Flare Secret HQ, Lysandre used Gyarados to battle him and Mega Evolves him. With Lysandre's Mega Ring, which had his Key Stone stolen from Korrina, Gyarados can Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados. He lost the ability to Mega Evolve after Lysandre's Mega Ring was taken. He is level 53, has a Sassy nature, and his Characteristic is "likes to fight."|
|Debut||They Have a Flare for a Li'l Kanga-Napping|
Pyroar is Lysandre's second known Pokémon. He was first seen with his Trainer at Lysandre Café, where he was used to scare Trevor and his friends before being forced to back off by Diantha's Mega Gardevoir. He is level 51 and has an Impish nature.
|Debut||Chespin Sows the Seeds of Change|
|Mienfoo is Lysandre's third known Pokémon. He was first seen with his Trainer in Lysandre Café, where he was used to scare Trevor into giving up a picture that was taken in Vaniville Town. He was stopped by Diantha, who had her Gardevoir Mega Evolve to make him back off. At Team Flare Secret HQ, he was used to battle against X to stop him from interrupting Lysandre's plan. At the Pokémon Village, he was used to fight against Mewtwo, but was later knocked out by Zygarde's Land's Wrath. He is level 45 and has a Bold nature.|
|Debut||Chespin Sows the Seeds of Change|
Zygarde, also known as Kalos's "Overseer" (Japanese: 監視者 Watcher), was captured by Essentia in Anistar City. At the Pokémon Village, Lysandre controlled Essentia so that he may use Zygarde to battle against X, Blue, and Blaine. After Emma was freed from Lysandre's control, Lysandre had Gyarados attack Emma so that he may take Zygarde's Poké Ball, giving him full control over it. Once Xerxer and Yveltal reverted to their dormant forms, Zygarde had no reason to stay, so its body began breaking apart. X's Mega-Evolved team used a combined attack to fully break apart Zygarde, leading to Lysandre's defeat.
In the TCG
Artwork from the cards:
|Regular print, Flashfire expansion|
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Lysandre or her Pokémon in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
| Related Cards|
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
|Ancient Origins||78/98||Wild Blaze||085/080|
|Flashfire||104/106||M Charizard-EX Mega Battle Deck||020/021|
|M Rayquaza-EX Mega Battle Deck||017/018|
|M Master Deck Build Box Power Style||044/049|
|M Master Deck Build Box Speed Style||044/049|
|BREAK Starter Pack||068/072|
|Premium Champion Pack||125/131|
|Premium Trainer Box||014/018|
|The Best of XY||150/171|
|Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Premium Trainer Box||019/020|
|Lysandre's Trump Card||Su||Phantom Forces||99/119||Phantom Gate||086/088|
|Phantom Forces||118/119||Phantom Gate||095/088|
|Lysandre ♢||Su||Forbidden Light||110/131||Forbidden Light||089/094|
|Lysandre Labs||St||Forbidden Light||111/131||Forbidden Light||089/094|
- Lysandre shares three Pokémon with Cyrus, another leader of a villainous team: Murkrow, Honchkrow, and Gyarados. Their goals are also similar; both involve trying to wipe out everyone for some purpose and using Legendary Pokémon to achieve it.
- Lysandre's cybernetic suit, the Lysandre Machine, was meant to be used to drain Xerneas'sX/Yveltal'sY power into the ultimate weapon.
- In the anime, its functions are different: the "bugs" attached to the backpack piece are able to shoot beams of Mega Evolution energy, while the gauntlet is used to control the Giant Rock. Additionally, the pieces of the suit are capable of flight and can carry Lysandre into the air while he is wearing them.
- Lysandre's Gyarados knows Iron Head and Outrage, which it cannot learn in Pokémon X and Y. The only way for Gyarados to know these moves in Pokémon X and Y is through Move Tutors in Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver and Black 2 and White 2 before being transferred through Pokémon Bank, or through a Move Tutor in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
- The background story of Lysandre told by an NPC in Snowbelle City is similar to the manga Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, where a king, who wants to save humanity and wanting peace for his peasants, eventually realizes their stupidity and grows to hate them, eventually becoming a tyrant.
- Lysandre's hairstyle was stylized to somewhat resemble a male Pyroar's mane, one of his Pokémon.
- In the anime, Lysandre is the first villainous team leader to debut in a side story episode, and also the first to have a Shiny Pokémon.
- Also in the anime, Lysandre is not Professor Sycamore's former pupil. Instead, the two only meet for the first time during the events of Mega Evolution Special IV.
- When Lysandre is defeated for the last time, the player performs a unique victory pose.
- Lysandre's visor can be seen on his desk in Team Rocket's Castle, though he does not wear it at any point as a member of Team Rainbow Rocket.
- Lysandre is the only villainous team leader in the core series to date who never wears his team's insignia on his clothing.
|Japanese||フラダリ Fuladari||From fleur-de-lis, a decorative symbol used in French heraldry and is French for lily flower.|
|Lysandre||French form of the name Lysander, meaning the release of a man or liberator. Lysander (Greek: Λύσανδρος, Lýsandros) was also the name of a Spartan admiral who ended a great war. The Lys- portion is likely a reference to the fleur-de-lis, or the "Ly-" may be meant to sound like "lion," referring to his Pyroar and resemblance to it.|
|German||Flordelis||From Flor de lis (Spanish for fleur-de-lis) and possibly crudelis (Latin for cruel)|
|Italian||Elisio||Eliseo (Elysium) is an Ancient Greek concept of the afterlife. The -lis- portion is likely a reference to the fleur-de-lis.|
|Spanish||Lysson||Possibly a portmanteau of lys (lily) and lion.|
|Korean||플라드리 Peulladeuri||Transliteration of his Japanese name|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||弗拉達利 Fúlādálì||Transliteration of his Japanese name|
|Russian||Лисандр Lisandr||Transcription of English name|
|Thai||ฟลัวเดอลีส์ Fleur-de-lis||Same as his Japanese name.|
Team Flare Boss
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|