| The subject of this article has no official name.|
The name currently in use is a fan designator; see below for more information.
| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
The eighth generation (Japanese: 第八世代 eighth generation) of Pokémon games is the eighth installment of the Pokémon video game series starting with Pokémon Sword and Shield. The games of the eighth generation are presented on the Nintendo Switch.
The eighth generation of Pokémon was announced with the reveal of Pokémon Sword and Shield on February 27, 2019. These games were released worldwide on November 15, 2019.
Sword and Shield players will be able to store their Pokémon in the cloud-based application, Pokémon HOME, slated for release for Nintendo Switch, iOS, and Android in early 2020. Users of HOME can carry forward their Pokémon from Pokémon Bank, GO, Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! to the new application. Through the combined use Pokémon Bank, Poké Transporter, Pokémon HOME, and other inter-generational transfer methods, allows players to transfer forward Pokémon from as early as Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire to as late as Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, as well as the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console releases of the Generation I and II games.
- Main article: Galar
The starters of the eighth generation, like the starters of the previous seven regions, follow the Grass-Fire-Water trio, with Grookey the Grass-type, Scorbunny the Fire-type, and Sobble the Water-type.
|Generation VIII||Region: Galar|
| Gym Leader
- Generation VIII is the first generation:
- To not have its main paired releases compatible with the entirety of the Pokémon species and moves existing as of its release.
- To introduce Fossil Pokémon that are genderless, cannot breed and are not Rock-type.
- To introduce cross-generational evolutions exclusive to regional forms.
- To introduce Gyms with different type specialties depending on which version the player has.
- To not introduce a Normal/Flying-type Pokémon.
- To introduce a non-Legendary pure Flying-type Pokémon.
- To introduce a Gym Leader specializing in the Dark-type.
- Where certain Pokémon can evolve from a preexisting evolutionary stone which could not do so before.
- To not introduce any dual typed Starter Pokémon since Generation II.
- To lower the base stat total of a pre-existing Pokémon.
- Where Pokémon can no longer lose access to moves by evolving.
- To put old Pokémon in new Egg Groups.
- To introduce expansion packs.
- Having more than two Game mascots for a single main paired game.
- Generation VIII is the first even-numbered generation to not introduce a new Eeveelution.
- At the time of its debut, Generation VIII introduced no new Mythical Pokémon.
|This game-related article is part of Project Games, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon games.|