| The subject of this article has no official English name.|
The name currently in use is a fan translation of the Japanese name.
Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR! (Japanese: ポケモンカードＧＢ２ ＧＲ団参上! Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!) (abbreviated Pokémon Card GB2) is the Japan-only sequel to Pokémon Trading Card Game. The game story revolves around a new villainous team, Team Great Rocket, and contains nearly all of the cards from Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, and Team Rocket. A promotional Lugia card was included with the game.
The game adds many new features not present in the original, such as new cards, the ability to play as a female character, a much larger in-game world, and a more developed story (rather than just collect cards and defeat the Grand Masters, the player must defeat Team Great Rocket).
In Pokémon Card GB2, Team Great Rocket, led by King Biruritchi, have kidnapped many of the Club Masters and attempted to steal the Legendary Cards. The player, assuming the role of Mark or Mint, must rescue the Club Masters and defeat Team Great Rocket at their headquarters on GR Island.
- Players may select either Mark, the protagonist of the original Pokémon Trading Card Game, or Mint, a new female player character.
- Opponent Trainers now have varying sprites: when they are losing, they appear sad, when they are winning, they appear happy.
- Coins replace Master Medals as tokens of achievement. These coins can also be used in place of the standard game coin in duels.
- Most of the clubs, such as the Grass Club, receive a minor interior redesign.
- In addition to all of the areas found in TCG Island in the first game, a second island, GR Island, is explorable as well.
All cards from the first game can be obtained, including the game-exclusive cards. New to the game is the Team Rocket set and most cards from the Japanese-exclusive Vending Machine cards. Additionally, the 15 cards exclusive to the Intro Pack are available as well as 13 more game-exclusive cards (some of which were released in card form around the same time). Only one card from Gym Heroes made it into the game, which was The Rocket's Trap.
The following were the expansion sets available in the game.
- Beginning Pokémon
- Legendary Power
- Island of Fossil
- Psychic Battle
- Sky Flying Pokémon
- We Are Team Rocket
- Team Rocket's Ambition
- Promotion Card
Cards not available in Pokémon Card GB2
Like the first version, there are a number of actual cards that did not make into the game. Most tournament-legal unnumbered promotional cards released from 1996 to mid 1999 are included except for ones that are Owner's Pokémon or from best photo contests.
- Guard Spec.
- Pokémon Tower
In addition, none of the spoof and non-legal cards from Vending Series 3 are included, the only exception being Bill's PC (called Bill's Computer in the game). There are three additional cards in the game for Pokémon that were not from the first generation: Marill, Togepi, and Lugia.
- Main article: Coin (TCG)#In the games
Coins have superseded Master Medals from the first game as items which denote any significant achievement. Coins can be used to change the coin interface used in the card game, or may be used for access to certain areas of the map. There are 24 coins in total, separated into three sets: GB1 Island coins, GB2 Island coins, and special coins.
- A promotional Great Rocket's Mewtwo was included with a special edition Celebi Game Boy Advance bundle package in March 2001.
- This game, along with its predecessor, are the only spin-off games to share overworld sprites with the, at the time, core series games.
- Dark Raichu does not show the 'R' symbol indicating the Team Rocket expansion, rather it shows the 'GB' symbol, most likely because at the time of the game's release, it was only available outside of Japan and as an error.
|This game-related article is a stub. You can help Bulbapedia by .|
|This article is part of both Project Sidegames and Project TCG, Bulbapedia projects that, together, aim to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon Sidegames and TCG, respectively.|