| Joseph Stone|
ツワブキ・ムクゲ Mukuge Tsuwabuki
Art from Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire
|Relatives||Steven Stone (son), grandfather|
|Games||Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire|
|Anime debut||Stairway to Devon|
|English voice actor||Ted Lewis|
|Japanese voice actor||Masahiko Tanaka|
In the games
Mr. Stone is the president of the Devon Corporation. After recovering the Devon Goods from either a member of Team Aqua or Team Magma, he'll give the main character a PokéNav and ask them to deliver a letter to Steven in Dewford Town. Once the letter is delivered, he will give the player an Exp. Share.
He considers himself generous and collects rare rocks and stones.
He has a large interest in Pokémon; he wanted the PokéNav developed so that he could better understand Pokémon emotions.
Devon Corporation was in charge of carving Rusturf Tunnel out of the mountain to connect Route 116 and Verdanturf Town; however, Mr. Stone shut the project down because it was disturbing the local Pokémon.
Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald
- "I'm Mr. Stone, the President of the Devon Corporation. I'd just got word about you! You saved our staff not just once, but twice! I have a favor to ask of an amazing person like you. I understand that you're delivering a package to Slateport's Shipyard. Well, on the way, could you stop off in Dewford Town? I was hoping that you'd deliver a Letter to Steven in Dewford."
- "Now, you should know that I am a great President. So, I'd never be so cheap as to ask a favor for nothing in return. That's why I want you to have this!"
- "That device… It's a Pokémon Navigator, or PokéNav for short. It's an indispensable tool for any Trainer on an adventure. It has a map of the Hoenn region. You can check the locations of Dewford and Slateport easily! By the way, I've heard that sinister criminals—Magma and Aqua, I believe—have been making trouble far and wide. I think it would be best if you rested up before you go on your way."
- "Well, then, <player>, go with caution and care!"
- After delivering the Letter
- "Since my youth, I've immersed myself in work. Consequently, I'm not familiar with trends and that sort of thing. But do all young people all want to be Trainers in the Pokémon League?"
- "Oh? <Player>! Since you called me, the PokéNav must be working properly! Other people will be registered, so try calling them up, too! Good! Good! You seem to be quite happy! Hm… How could I know that? It's because I'm looking down at you from my office window! Wahahaha! See you again!"
- Devon Corporation
- "You delivered my Letter? Thank you kindly! This is my way of thanking you. It should help you, a Trainer."
- "A Pokémon holding that Exp. Share will be given some of the Exp Points from battle. It will get Exp Points even if it didn't actually battle. I would say Exp. Share is quite useful for raising weak Pokémon."
- "Since my youth, I've immersed myself in work. Consequently, I'm not familiar with trends and that sort of thing. But do young people all want to be Trainers in the Pokémon League?"
- "Oh? <Player>! What's wrong? Have you forgotten about that little errand of mine? I need you to deliver my letter to Steven in Dewford. After that, deliver our parcel to Capt. Stern in Slateport. You remember, don't you? Now, since I am a busy President, I have to go! Bye-bye!"
- "Oh! <Player>! Ah, so you've met Steven! I'd better reward you, then! When you visit Rustboro again, come see me at my office. I'll be waiting for you!"
- "Oh! <Player>! Did you know that Devon was digging the Rusturf Tunnel? But we shut down the operation to protect the Pokémon in the area. It's a no-brainer, really. It's more important to let Pokémon live in peace than worry about our own convenience."
- "Hello, hello, <player>! I heard from someone in Petalburg that you're Norman's child! No wonder you're such a capable being!"
- "What's that? You battled your own father and defeated him? That's astounding! I had no idea that I befriended someone so special! Wahaha!"
- "Hello! This is Devon Corporati... Oh, hello, <player>! Our President was here a little while ago, but he's gone out. Our President is busy, but you seem to be just as busy, <player>."
- "...Huh? ...What's that? Grou... Yes? ...don? You're breaking up... ...can't hear... BZZZZ..."
- "...Huh? ...What's that? Seaflo... Yes? ...Caver...? You're breaking up... ...can't hear... BZZZZ..."
- "<Player>! It's me! You were apparently involved in all sorts of things, but I, being busy, haven't a clue exactly what! However, I urge you to take the road you believe in and walk it. I'll always be in your corner! Take care!"
- "... ... ... ... ... ... Is this maybe <player>? Your voice is so full of confidence, I didn't recognize you right off! Hm! You must come visit us at Devon sometime!"
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
- Devon Corporation
- "I'm Mr. Stone, the president of the Devon Corporation. I heard just now how we have quite a bit to thank you for. So you helped out my staff not just once, but twice! There's a favor I'd like to ask of a reliable Trainer like you. Now I want you to know I'm a president you can trust. I'd never be so mean as to ask a favor for nothing in return. Here, give me your PokéNav Plus for a moment."
- "That function that I just added to your PokéNav Plus is called BuzzNav. It is an indispensable tool for any Trainer who is traveling out in the world. Use it, and you'll be able to get the latest news from around the region and from your own friends, anytime and anyplace. Now let me get to the important issue of what it is I need you to do..."
- "I want to ask you to deliver this Letter to a man named Steven. You should find him in Dewford."
- "You'll have to cross the sea to reach Dewford, of course. I'll ask Mr. Briney, the old sailor who lives in that hut on Route 104, to help with the crossing. Go find him, and he should agree to help you. I'm counting on you, young man/lady! If you're ever unsure of what to do, just come and talk with me again!"
- If talked to again:
- "Deliver that Letter to Steven in Dewford Town for me! You'll have to cross the sea to reach Dewford, of course. I'll ask Mr. Briney, the old sailor who lives in that hut on Route 104, to help with the crossing. Go find him, and he should agree to help you. I'm counting on you, young man/lady!"
- If player has Steven's Shiny Beldum:
- Oho! Th-that Pokémon you have... Could it be that rare white specimen? There cannot be more than one such specimen in the world! So pure... So sublime... Its sparkle is indeed the ultimate! I would love to see how it would stand up to Steven's Beldum..."
- If player has the Intriguing Stone:
- "Hm? Ah. That Intriguing Stone you have... On second look, it seems to be Pidgeotite, doesn't it?"
- "To be carrying around a Mega Stone like that... It looks like you're also a bit of a connoisseur."
- Delta Episode
- "Well, welcome, welcome. It's been quite a while... hasn't it? Ho ho ho... I suppose I'm just getting old. Recently I seem to forget details just as soon as I learn them... Ho ho ho ho..."
- "Ahem! Oh, I know. I know what you want to say. My, what a hasty, impatient one you are! What are we to do with such an impatient one for our Pokémon League Champion? ...Hm? Oh, is that so? So you're the new Champion, <player>? Then I guess we'll never break you of that impatience after all, Steven! Ho ho ho ho!"
- "Bah... I know... I know... Can't you take a joke..."
- "Now then, <player>. I'm afraid that I'm planning to start in on a rather long and quite heavy topic. Are you sure that you're ready to take all of it in?"
- Not really: "Hmph. Well, if you're not ready, then I guess that's that. When you do start to feel ready, come to talk to me again."
- I guess so: "Hmm... Then I suppose I should begin."
- "Let me first take us back 3,000 years, to the days when this story began... There was a great war at that time, in a region far from here. That war was finally brought to an end by a weapon created by one man. And what energy source could power such a dreadful weapon? Do you know? You see... It ran on the life energy of Pokémon. The energy that could be gained by the sacrifice of so many Pokémon... There are surely many people who would call it reprehensible. But my grandfather, the president of Devon before me, said this... "Couldn't we use the energy to improve the lives of people and Pokémon?" And so he developed our greatest creation here at the Devon Corporation: Infinity Energy. Thanks to Infinity Energy, Devon was able to become one of the top industries in Hoenn and developed into the giant you see today. You may be surprised to learn that the Devon Parts you once recovered for us were in fact parts of a motor that would make it possible to power a submarine using Infinity Energy. It was not long before we began to expand our attempts to further human development. Next, we moved into exploring space. The rockets launched from the Mossdeep Space Center using our Infinity Energy... They are the true results of our dreams, our passion, and our technology. But never did we imagine they could end up as the best hope for saving our world."
- "My preamble has been quite long, but we arrive at last at the real issue. That is the overwhelming catastrophe which now approaches us. A huge asteroid, more than six miles in diameter, is currently on track to collide with our planet. We have been working together with the Mossdeep Space Center, which was first to recognize this danger. We are devising countermeasures that would use our rockets, but... In order for these plans to succeed, though, we need a Meteorite Shard."
- "Hah! That's my boy, all right! I knew you'd understand at once."
- "I want you to make your way to the Granite Cave near Dewford. According to our surveys, you should be able to find the kind of Meteorite Shards that we need there. And you, Steven... I want you, son, to head for the Space Center at once to start the preparations, using that Link Cable that I gave you."
- "...Steven? You be careful."
- "Then...I will be counting on the two of you to take care of this for me. If you forget just what it is you need to do, come talk to me again... Assuming I remember as well! Ho ho..."
- If talked to again
- "I want you to go to Granite Cave. Based on our research, you should find the kind of Meteorite Shard that we will need. I'm counting on you."
- After obtaining the Meteorite Shard
- "Steven headed for the Mossdeep Space Center a little while ago. I hope you'll deliver the Meteorite Shard to him at once. I'm counting on you!"
- After delivering the Meteorite Shard
- "Steven seems to have headed out for Meteor Falls. I sure hope he'll find something useful there..."
- After Steven obtains the second Meteorite Shard
- "The last hope of humanity... If we lose the dimensional shifter now, we will have no way to stop that asteroid from striking our planet..."
- After the dimensional shifter is broken
- "The dimensional shifter was destroyed by one of the Draconids...? Why...? Why would the Draconid people...?
- After the Delta Episode
- "Thanks to the heroic actions of you young people and your Pokémon teams... we have been able to dispel the threat of the asteroid without a single loss! Perhaps I have put too much of my faith in technology's promise alone. Perhaps my belief that the sacrifice of some might be necessary to guarantee the safety of many – Perhaps it was wrong all along."
| Overworld sprite from
Ruby and Sapphire
| Overworld sprite from|
In the anime
Mr. Stone appeared in one episode of the Pokémon anime.
Stone appeared in Stairway to Devon. He helped out Max after he accidentally spilled soda on the PokéNav. While wandering through Rustboro City, he bumped into Mr. Stone, who was showing off some toys he had made to the local children. The man introduced himself as Mr. Stone, an employee of Devon Corporation - the company that makes PokéNavs. Mr. Stone had to return to Devon Corporation due to an emergency, but he invited Max to visit later.
Max found the gigantic Devon building, and asked to see Mr. Stone. Unfortunately, the receptionist said he was busy. Max tried to think of some way he could see Mr. Stone to get the PokéNav fixed.
Mr. Stone was meeting with an Officer Jenny, who wanted to warn him of a villainous team who wanted to steal something from Devon. Mr. Stone then found Max, who had hidden in the building, and had one of the Corporation's technicians repair the PokéNav. Max was surprised to find out that Mr. Stone was actually the president of Devon. Mr. Stone explained some of Devon's products, and Max explained how he had broken his PokéNav. Mr. Stone took Max on a tour of the laboratories, pointing out a project to revive extinct Pokémon from Fossils.
Mr. Stone noticed a suspicious scientist and he and Max decided to follow him. Max accidentally alerted the strange man to their presence, causing him to flee. Mr. Stone called security and found out some amber containing prehistoric Pokémon DNA had been stolen.
Ash, May, and Brock had heard of the situation and helped confront the thief on the route. Team Rocket ended up accidentally defeating the thief, and Max was able to recover the amber in the confusion. Officer Jenny explained that the thief was a member of Team Aqua.
Mr. Stone took the children out for dinner, and while eating, he secretly passed Max his repaired PokéNav back.
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Mr. Stone debuts in the Ruby & Sapphire chapter. He was first seen watching Sapphire rescue his Castform from being sucked into a fountain during a trip through Petalburg Woods. After Sapphire rescued the Castform and healed it up, three members of Team Aqua attacked Mr. Stone and stole a special machine from his pockets. Sapphire chased after the villains and defeated them with Castform's help, but they escaped with the machine. The stress was too much for Mr. Stone, who soon falls into a coma, but he hands Sapphire a letter to hand to his son, Steven, before passing out. His Castform decided to travel with Gabby and Ty while its owner was still unconscious.
The machine turns out to be a special component for the Submarine Explorer 1, which will allow it to dive to the depths of the ocean without being crushed by the depth's pressure. He and Steven aimed to use the Submarine Explorer 1 to seal the Seafloor Cavern, as they realized that villains are aiming to awaken Groudon and Kyogre. With the component and the submarine stolen by Teams Magma and Aqua, Steven decided to use the backup plan of awakening the Legendary Pokémon Regirock, Regice, and Registeel and use their power to prevent Groudon and Kyogre's clash from damaging Hoenn. Mr. Stone is later taken to New Mauville in order to escape the regions' flooding. As he lies unconscious, Mr. Stone begins muttering his son's name in his sleep. After meeting with Sapphire, Steven receives the letter from his father. The letter contained a piece of paper that completed a slab with instructions on how to awaken Regirock, Regice, and Registeel. With the help of Sapphire's Pokémon, Steven awakens the three Pokémon and uses them to help contain Groudon and Kyogre's power.
In the Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire chapter, Mr. Stone and Steven lead an operation to prevent an incoming meteoroid from crashing into the Hoenn region. To assist him in this mission, Mr. Stone enlists the help of his old friends, Mr. Briney and Drake, as well as the aid of Ultima of Two Island, who is tasked with teaching the Hoenn Pokédex holders, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, the ultimate moves. The three Pokédex holders are also given a Mega Bracelet, which they can use to activate Mega Evolution.
Once Sapphire and Emerald finished their training, Mr. Stone has Mr. Briney take everyone to the Sea Mauville, where a machine known as the Absorber is located. The next day, Mr. Stone and Steven use the Absorber on Sapphire's Chic and Emerald's Sceptile in their Mega-Evolved states. The process drains the life energy of the two Pokémon and transfers it into a machine capable of transporting the meteoroid away known as the dimensional shifter, but also causes intense pain to Chic and Sceptile. Despite the scene horrifying everyone else, Mr. Stone and Steven continue with the process. After the dimensional shifter is filled with enough energy, the area is attacked by Zinnia and her small army of Team Aqua and Magma Grunts in order to destroy the shifter. Everyone fights off Zinnia and her allies, but a wild Hoopa appears and uses its ring to warp Sapphire and the shifter to another location. After Ruby arrives to help, he manages to get Zinnia to leave by offering up his and Emerald's Mega Bracelets.
Afterward, Mr. Stone and Steven are left behind on the Sea Mauville while everyone else goes off to find another way to stop the meteoroid. Dejected that his plans failed and friends abandoned him, Mr. Stone nearly gives up until Steven cheers him up by pointing out that Sapphire and the shifter have merely been transported somewhere else. They quickly receive a call from Professor Cozmo, who informs the two that Sapphire and the shifter safely arrived at Mossdeep City, but the Space Center is being swarmed by press members that were informed about the disaster that will strike Hoenn. Mr. Stone and Steven immediately head off to Mossdeep City to help with the press.
Upon arriving, Mr. Stone helps Professor Cozmo with the rocket that the dimensional shifter was attached to. Sapphire tells Steven that she senses Zinnia's presence and goes off to stop her from interfering with the rocket's launch. Sapphire and Zinnia's clash leads the two into battling on top of the rocket while it flies through the air. Eventually Sapphire is defeated, allowing Zinnia to destroy the shifter and knock the rocket into the ocean.
Later, Mr. Stone and Steven travel to Sootopolis City, where Zinnia was taken to after her attempts to get Rayquaza to join her ended in defeat. Mr. Stone attempts to apologize to Zinnia for the trouble he caused in attempting to control Rayquaza. Zinnia rejects this apology and claims that Mr. Stone is only trying to save face for his failures.
This listing is of Mr. Stone's Pokémon in the Pokémon Adventures manga.
|This Castform originally belonged to Mr. Stone. She was first seen being trapped in a fountain as a trap laid by Team Aqua. After Sapphire rescued her, Team Aqua attacked Mr. Stone to steal a special component from him. The attack left Mr. Stone in a coma while his Castform went to travel with Gabby and Ty. After an encounter with Ruby at the Weather Institute, Castform decided to go with the boy and was later named Fofo (Jp: POPO).|
In the Pokémon Ruby-Sapphire manga
|This section does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this section to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.|
Red were sightseeing around Rustboro City and notice the Devon Corporation. The group peek inside and see Mr. Stone doing his speeches and how he would get 3800 yen. He noticed the group outside and invited them in. Mr. Stone showed the group his inventions which made Clefairy excited. Seeing Clefairy's enthusiasm, Mr. Stone decided to have Clefairy try it out. Clefairy showed him a backpack that transformed into a helicopter. However, when Clefairy tried it out, the wing of the helicopter broke and the whole invention exploded. Mr. Stone became disappointed that Clefairy let him down. Inside, one of Mr. Stone's employees showed him an invention which was an advanced power tool that Mr. Stone tried out, still calling Clefairy a failure. He used the tool which was actually a ray gun and zapped Clefairy. However, Clefairy survived instead of vanished even though Mr. Stone wanted Clefairy to disappear. As a result, he threw the ray gun on the floor and it broke, only for Pikachu to fix it. Mr. Stone became happy that Pikachu was able to program it to make Clefairy disappear but when Pikachu tried it out, it gave Clefairy a shiny feeling instead of what Mr. Stone wanted. As Clefairy left with the device, Mr. Stone and the employee from before slam the door to get him to come back. Mr. Stone, along with some people who were zapped by Clefairy, chase after him for making them look ugly. Mr. Stone then fell to the floor when Clefairy zapped himself in order to make himself look like a monster.
Unlike other media, Mr. Stone does not mention anything about his son, Steven, nor did Steven appear.
In the TCG
Artwork from the cards:
|Examining a new device|
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Mr. Stone in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
| Mr. Stone|
Cards listed with a blue background are only legal to use in the current Expanded format.
Cards listed with a silver background are legal to use in both the current Standard and Expanded formats.
|Mr. Stone's Project||T [Su]||EX Emerald||79/106||Quick Construction Packs|| 009/015|
|EX Holon Phantoms||88/110||Crawdaunt Quarter Deck||008/015|
|EX Dragon Frontiers||77/101||Shockwave! Tyranitar ex Constructed Standard Deck||019/024|
- In the English dub of Stairway to Devon, he was unnamed, and was referred to only as President.
- In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Mr. Stone has a framed portrait of Omanyte in the back of his office, and he gives the player the Pidgeotite in the same room. This may be a veiled reference to Twitch Plays Pokémon.
President Mukuge Tsuwabuki
|From 石蕗 tsuwabuki (leopard plant) and 木槿 mukuge (St Joseph's rod). 石蕗 contains the character 石 (stone).|
|English||Mr. Joseph Stone||From St Joseph's rod and stone|
|French||M. Rochard||From rocher, rock|
|German||Mr. Trumm||From Trümmer, debris|
|Italian||Pierangelo Petri||From pietra (stone) and angelo (angel)|
|Spanish||Sr. Peñas||From peñas, stones|
President Na Balmyeong Mugunghwa
|From 발명 (發明) balmyeong (invention) and 무궁화 (無窮花) mugunghwa (St Joseph's rod).|
|Chinese (Mandarin)|| 茲伏奇社長 / 兹伏奇社长
|Very loose transcription of Tsuwabuki|
|Portuguese||Sr. Rocha*||From rocha, rock|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|