Mold Breaker (Ability)
Mold Breaker ignores the effects of Abilities that could potentially affect the damage or effects of a move that its user executes. For example, a Pokémon with Mold Breaker can hit opponents that possess Levitate by using Earthquake. Mold Breaker applies regardless of target Pokémon, but only to moves executed by its user (so if two Pokémon in a Double Battle both know Earthquake, only the Pokémon with Mold Breaker can hit a Pokémon with Levitate).
Unlike Gastro Acid, which completely negates a target's Ability, the opponents' Abilities otherwise remain in effect:
- Abilities that prevent status conditions (such as Immunity and Oblivious) will not protect the Pokémon from receiving the status condition; however, many of these Abilities also have effects to cure the Pokémon of the status condition if afflicted, which are not negated by Mold Breaker.
- Abilities that draw attacks to the user, such as Lightning Rod and Storm Drain, will still divert attacks regardless of Mold Breaker, but will not nullify the damage or boost the Pokémon's stats.
Mold Breaker can ignore the Abilities of Pokémon other than the target; for example, if a Pokémon with Mold Breaker uses Thunder Wave on a Grass-type Pokémon whose ally has Flower Veil, the target will still be paralyzed.
In Generation IV, when a Pokémon with Mold Breaker is brought out, the message "<name> has Mold Breaker!" is displayed. In Generation V onward, when a Pokémon with Mold Breaker is brought out, the message "<name> breaks the mold!" is displayed.
Generation V onward
If a Pokémon with Mold Breaker forces a Pokémon to switch in with a move like Roar or Dragon Tail, immunities to entry hazards due to Abilities will be negated (except Magic Guard). If forced to switch in this way:
- Pokémon with Levitate will be affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, unless they are Flying-type or holding an Air Balloon.
- Poison-type Pokémon with Levitate can remove Toxic Spikes, if they are not Flying-type and not holding an Air Balloon.
- Pokémon with Immunity will be poisoned by Toxic Spikes (although Immunity will then activate and cure them of poison).
- Pokémon with Leaf Guard will be poisoned by Toxic Spikes even during harsh sunlight.
- Pokémon with Clear Body or White Smoke will have their Speed lowered by Sticky Web.
- Grass-type Pokémon that have or have an ally with Flower Veil will be poisoned by Toxic Spikes, and will have their Speed lowered by Sticky Web.
Mold Breaker ignores the following Abilities, even in situations where the Ability could increase the power of a move (such as using Low Kick on a Pokémon with Heavy Metal or using a Fire-type move on a Pokémon with Dry Skin):
Mold Breaker does not ignore the effects of Aura Break.
Outside of battle
Mold Breaker has no effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Mold Breaker
|#||Pokémon||Types||First Ability||Second Ability||Hidden Ability|
|Pinsir||Bug||Hyper Cutter||Mold Breaker||Moxie|
|Cranidos||Rock||Mold Breaker||None||Sheer Force|
|Rampardos||Rock||Mold Breaker||None||Sheer Force|
|Drilbur||Ground||Sand Rush||Sand Force||Mold Breaker|
|Excadrill||Ground||Steel||Sand Rush||Sand Force||Mold Breaker|
|Throh||Fighting||Guts||Inner Focus||Mold Breaker|
|Sawk||Fighting||Sturdy||Inner Focus||Mold Breaker|
|Water||Rock Head||Adaptability||Mold Breaker|
|Druddigon||Dragon||Rough Skin||Sheer Force||Mold Breaker|
|Pancham||Fighting||Iron Fist||Mold Breaker||Scrappy|
|Pangoro||Fighting||Dark||Iron Fist||Mold Breaker||Scrappy|
| Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation VI games.
In the anime
|The user cancels out the opponent's Ability when it activates.|
|User||First Used In||Notes|
|Cranidos||When the opponent's Ability activates, Cranidos cancels it out.|
|Roark's Cranidos||Shapes of Things to Come!||Debut|
|Rampardos||When the opponent's Ability activates, Rampardos cancels it out.|
|Roark's Rampardos||O'er the Rampardos we Watched!||None|
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
|Moves can be used regardless of Abilities.|
|User||First Chapter Used In||Notes|
|Haxorus||Haxorus's moves aren't affected by the opponent's Ability.|
|Iris's Haxorus||One Way or Another||None|
In other languages
|Variations of the Ability Mold Breaker|
|Mold Breaker • Turboblaze • Teravolt|
|This article is part of Project Moves and Abilities, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on two related aspects of the Pokémon games.|