The Advanced Generation series (Japanese: ポケットモンスター アドバンスジェネレーション Pocket Monsters Advanced Generation) is the second series of the Pokémon anime, following after the Original series, and based on the events of the Generation III games. It ran from November 21, 2002 to September 14, 2006 in Japan and from November 1, 2003 to March 3, 2007 in the United States, although the first two episodes aired as a sneak peak on March 15, 2003.
In this series, Ash travels through the Hoenn region in an effort to compete in the Hoenn League there. He is joined not by Misty, who had been his continuous companion for the entirety of the original series, but May, a rookie Trainer from Petalburg City who at first merely wishes to travel. Eventually, she learns of Pokémon Contests and declares herself a Pokémon Coordinator, training to win Ribbons in Pokémon Contests so she can enter the Grand Festival. May's brother, Max, also travels with the group and helps map out routes to take using his PokéNav. However, Max is too young to have his own Pokémon. Brock, Ash's near-constant adviser, returns soon after the start of the series, while Misty makes two several-episode cameo appearances.
After Ash competes in the Hoenn League, Ash and Brock return to Kanto while May and Max return to Petalburg City. While on his way home to Pallet Town, Ash meets Scott, who after observing Ash's battle skills invites him to enter the Battle Frontier. He travels around Kanto in an effort to complete the Battle Frontier and is joined again by Brock, Max and May - who is now aiming to compete in the Kanto Grand Festival.
The Advanced Generation series saw a change in the formula followed by the original series, as well. While in Kanto and Johto, Ash encountered all three of those regions' starter Pokémon and caught each, in this series Ash's only capture of a starter was Treecko, while his friends, May and Brock, caught a Torchic and a Mudkip, respectively. Also, unlike when he traveled to the Orange Islands and Johto, Ash left behind all of his Pokémon at Professor Oak's, bringing only Pikachu. Another change was new clothing for Ash and Brock. No longer did Ash wear the hat he claimed to have sent in a million postcards for, but instead a completely different outfit. Misty also received a new outfit during her return appearances.
When the Advanced Generation series came to be dubbed into English and other languages, it was divided up into four seasons:
- Pokémon: Advanced (AG001 - AG040)
- Pokémon: Advanced Challenge (AG041 - AG092)
- Pokémon: Advanced Battle (AG093 - AG145)
- Pokémon: Battle Frontier (AG146 - AG192)
- This is the second, and final series dubbed by 4Kids Entertainment, with the exception of Season 9.
- This is the first series that has Ash traveling with siblings.
- This series currently holds the record for the longest time taken for Ash to capture a full team of Pokémon (including Pikachu) for the region, at 108 episodes, the last being Snorunt.
- This is the only series in the dub, that Ken Gates is not the narrator for all the Seasons.
- This is also the only series in the dub only to have a totally different eyecatch called Pokémon Trainer's Choice which replaced Who's That Pokémon? for Seasons 7 & 8 only.
- This is the only series that didn't have one of Ash's companions own a walking Pokémon.
In other languages
|Chinese||Cantonese||寵物小精靈超世代 Chungmat Siujingling: Chiu Saidoi|
|Mandarin||神奇寶貝超世代 Shénqíbǎobèi: Chāo Shìdài|
|Korean||포켓몬스터 AG Pocket Monster AG|
- TV Tokyo (Japanese)
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|