| Judgment Day!
Enter Those Three! Referee School Island!
|| September 2, 2004
| United States
|| September 10, 2005
|| Team Ota
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| まつもとよしひさ Yoshihisa Matsumoto
| Assistant director
|| まつもとよしひさ Yoshihisa Matsumoto
| Animation director
|| 上石忠太 Chūta Kamiishi
| Additional credits
Judgment Day! (Japanese: あの三匹登場！審判学校の島！ Enter Those Three! Referee School Island!) is the 92nd episode of the Advanced Generation series, and the 366th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on September 2, 2004 and in the United States on September 10, 2005.
The kids are running for the ferry to Lilycove and jump on the boat they see leaving only to discover it's actually a boat to Bomba Island. Once they arrive on the island, they meet a young Trainer named Jimmy and his Wartortle, Charmeleon, and Ivysaur. Jimmy is a student at the Pokémon Battle Judge Training Institute, located on the island.
Professor Serena from the institute gets Ash and Brock to help out in her class by staging a Double Battle which Jimmy will judge. Ash uses Swellow and Corphish, while Brock uses Mudkip and Lombre. The battle is fierce, and after Mudkip and Lombre both use Water Gun on Corphish simultaneously, Jimmy mistakenly declares Corphish unable to battle.
That night, Ash and friends find Jimmy outside talking to his Pokémon. Jimmy explains how he met all three of them by accident, and even got a Cascade Badge—also by accident. Team Rocket interrupts and takes all three of the Pokémon, causing Jimmy to run after them. Seeing his determination, Wartortle evolves into Blastoise, and uses Hydro Pump to free the others. Team Rocket is then defeated as usual.
Serena tells Jimmy he has to leave the school now, but not because he's a bad student, but because he'd make a better Trainer. Jimmy heads back to Lilycove to start his Pokémon journey over, while Ash and friends continue on to Mossdeep City.
The episode begins with Ash and his friends running to catch the boat to Mossdeep Island, where Ash's next Gym battle awaits. Unfortunately, in their haste to catch the ferry, the party gets aboard the wrong boat! On board, Brock and Max reveal that they've boarded the ship to Bomba Island, and unfortunately, there's no direct ferry from Bomba Island to Mossdeep Island. While discussing their island-hopping adventure, an Ivysaur, Charmeleon, and Wartortle pass the group by, with each Pokémon carrying a heavy box. May misidentifies each (as a Venusaur, Charmander, and Squirtle respectively) but Max and the rest of the group set her straight. Ash then explains that they are the evolutions of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle, the starter Pokémon of Pallet Town. The group also quickly bumps into Jimmy, the three Pokémon's Trainer, and himself a referee in training. After helping Jimmy shift a few boxes, Jimmy explains that there's a major Pokémon Battle Judging school on the island, and Ash and friends are eager to take a look around the institute. The institute's teacher, Serena is quick to enlist Ash and company to help teach some trainees by holding a mock battle. Meanwhile, Team Rocket has managed to follow the group using their Magikarp submarine, and the trio plot to steal Jimmy's three Pokémon.
Ash and Brock face off in the institute mock battle with Jimmy judging, with Ash choosing his Swellow and Corphish and Brock using his Lombre and Mudkip. After a few brief exchanges, Ash manages to back Lombre into a vulnerable position. As this is a battle to test the judges more than the Trainers, though, Brock has his Lombre play dead rather than reposition itself, meaning that it appears unable to battle. While Jimmy wonders if he should call the match, Ash orders Swellow to do an Aerial Ace attack. Lombre, however, springs back up at the last moment! Unfortunately for Brock, his sneak attack fails to knock out Swellow. Brock orders a double Water Gun against Swellow to finish the fight, but Ash orders Corphish to shield Swellow from the blow. Corphish initially buckles beneath the force of the attack, and Jimmy decides to call Corphish unable to battle. However, his amateur judgment is also premature and Corphish springs back up moments later. The teacher, Serena, scolds Jimmy quite forcefully. She goes on to say that he's still studying and will make mistakes sometimes, and this is the time to make mistakes. Also, whether right or wrong, a referee must appear confident.
After night falls, Jimmy sits outside with Pokémon, brooding over his mistakes earlier in the day. Ash and friends go out to find Jimmy, Jimmy tells them his whole story, including how he got his three Pokémon. He tells them that Wartortle, who was a Squirtle, was his starter. He got Ivysaur by accidentally giving it a rice ball. Finally, he traded a gold Magikarp to someone for his Charmeleon. He also shows them his only Badge, a Cascade Badge, and Ash tells him that he must be a pretty good Trainer to have beaten their friend and Gym Leader, Misty. Jimmy then explains that this was given to him by Daisy for cleaning the Gym and pool; Misty was away when he visited Cerulean City (see trivia below). Jimmy tells Ash that he has had a long streak of bad luck, and came to the judging academy by accident.
Meanwhile, in the distance, a rather obvious Team Rocket mecha drives up on the beach, with the villainous trio hell bent on capturing Jimmy's three Pokémon. The mecha that Team Rocket is using has three Poké Ball shaped prisons, each of which steal and hold one of Jimmy's Pokémon. Jimmy gives chase. Somehow, Jimmy gets atop the mecha and tries to free his Pokémon with a sharp rock, but he is easily knocked off the mecha. Jimmy becomes disheartened, but Serena gives him a speech about his good heart, which renews his faith. Meanwhile, his Pokémon are trying to free themselves from their Poké Balls. Wartortle evolves into Blastoise in anger and is able to break free from the small containment chamber. The other two are also released by Blastoise using Hydro Pump. The three then use a combination of Razor Leaf, Flamethrower and Hydro Pump to send Team Rocket blasting off. Serena tells Jimmy he should become a Trainer, not a judge, and Jimmy then decides to return to Lilycove City. Ash and his friends hire a boat and get back on course to their next city of choice (and Gym Badge, in Ash's case).
- Smile replaces Full of Summer!! as the ending.
- There is a new sequence for the episode title, which shows both Ash's Badges and May's Ribbons. 4Kids does not start to use it until the next episode.
- This is the last episode of the seventh season, Pokémon: Advanced Challenge.
- The Poké Balls of the mecha of Team Rocket where Wartortle, Ivysaur, and Charmeleon were are very similar to the Poké Balls from the Pokémon Adventures manga.
- During a flashback in this episode, we see Jimmy was given a Cascade Badge by Daisy for cleaning the pool. This is the second time the Cerulean Gym is known to have surrendered a Badge without a fight (the first being when Ash challenges the Cerulean Gym himself in The Water Flowers of Cerulean City). Interestingly, Daisy's explanation in the anime is somewhat suspect: she herself is a qualified Cerulean Gym Leader and she and her sisters did not surrender the Gym leadership to Misty until after they all left on a world tour.
- This episode is featured on the Volume 5: Blastoise copy of Pokémon All-Stars.
- As of this episode, if Snow Way Out! and Holiday Hi-Jynx are not counted, one episode of Pokémon can be played for every day of the year if it is a leap year.
- In the beginning of the episode, Brock's collar is the same color as his skin. During his battle with Ash his collar is the same color as his shirt. It should have been orange in both of these scenes.
- May's shirt is momentarily seen with long, red sleeves instead of short ones.
- In one scene where May is supposed to be shown wearing the blue bike shorts, they disappear and she is wearing only her white miniskirt.
- May's gloves disappear in a couple of scenes, leaving only white bands in one instance.
- After Jimmy is thrown from Team Rocket's mecha, he lands on the ground in front of the group. When the group is helping him up, there are suddenly two Jimmy's: one still laying on the ground, and one sitting up.
- Near the end of the episode, Charmeleon's white belly turns red.
- When Ash asks Jimmy to tell them how he met Charmeleon, Pikachu's eyes are almost totally black.
- The sandwich that rolls down the hill into Ivysaur's mouth in the flashback was an onigiri in the original.
- Question: Trainers, which one of these Pokémon evolves into Nuzleaf?
- Choices: Surskit, Seedot, Doduo
- Answer: OK, Trainers! If you chose Seedot, you were right!
In other languagesLast modified on 17 July 2014, at 19:03