From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Strength (Japanese: かいりき Super Strength) is a damage-dealing Normal-type move introduced in Generation I. It is HM04 in all generations.
Strength inflicts damage and has no secondary effect.
Outside of battle
Generations I to III
Players can move round boulders around the field by walking into them whilst Strength is active. Many puzzles in the games require boulders to be moved around in a certain way with Strength. If the area is left, the boulders will resume their original positions and the puzzle needs to be solved again if the player wishes to go back through the area. However, the boulders will not reset after being dropped from one floor to the floor below, such as in the Ice Path and Blackthorn Gym.
Strength can be activated at any time.
Strength can now only be activated when there is a boulder in the vicinity.
Boulders are now significantly bigger in size and are required to be pushed into holes and walked across, as opposed to pushed into corners and walked around. Once pushed into a hole, the boulders typically do not reset upon subsequent visits, and they do not need to be pushed again.
|| A very powerful Normal-type attack. Also used for moving obstacles like boulders.
|| A powerful physical attack.
|| Builds enormous power, then slams the foe.
|| The foe is slugged at maximum power. Can also be used to move boulders.
|| Builds enormous power, then slams the target.
|| The foe is slugged with a punch thrown at maximum power. It can also be used to move boulders.
|| The target is slugged with a punch thrown at maximum power. This move can also be used to move boulders.
|| The target is slugged with a punch thrown at maximum power. This can also be used to move heavy boulders.
In other games
Strength sends the target flying to another tile in the room. The thrown Pokémon will bounce off of a single hostile Pokémon before landing as long as at least one is in range, causing both of them take 10 damage.
|| Hurls the target at another hostile Pokémon to inflict damage.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
In other generations
Outside of battle
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Hole image for Gen. VI.
- If Secret Power is used in a building in Generation III, it will display the animation of Strength.
- Prior to Generation VI, Hoenn was the only region without holes for boulders to fall into. With the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, this is no longer true.
- Although HM moves can't be used outside of battle in Orre, Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness has three locations housing puzzles similar to Strength puzzles in other regions:
- The first two puzzle are located at the S.S. Libra and Cipher Key Lair, where several areas are blocked off by big wooden crates, which the player must push to either clear way, close a gap, or press a big switch in order to proceed or access an item. Similar to Strength boulders before Generation V, these crates will reset if the player leaves and re-enters the area.
- The third puzzle can be found at Citadark Isle, where the player must push big metal blocks down small cliffs to stop flows of lava in order to progress and access certain items. These blocks will not reset once pushed down to their proper spots.
In other languages