From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Rood (Japanese: ロット Rot) is one of the Seven Sages of Team Plasma.
In the games
In Pokémon Black and White, Rood is encountered along with Ghetsis, Bronius and several Team Plasma Grunts at Team Plasma's hideout in Castelia City. He leaves the building shortly after the arrival of the player. He later appears with all the other sages at N's Castle, blocking the player's way to N. However, the Unova Gym Leaders appear and clear the way to N. After Ghetsis has been defeated, Rood can be found on Route 18, where he gives the player TM32 (Double Team) and is arrested by Looker.
In Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Rood is encountered living with Anthea, Concordia and several Grunts in the original Team Plasma's safehouse in Driftveil City. After losing in a battle with the player, he gives the player N's Zorua. Shortly afterwards, he appears on Route 6 after the player has encountered Cobalion. Later, he appears leading the members of the original Team Plasma against Ghetsis's new Team Plasma at the Giant Chasm, occupying their forces to allow the player to reach Ghetsis himself.
| Held item:
| Zorua♂ Lv.25*
Pokémon Black and White
- "What is it?"
- "Superior men understand what is right. Inferior men understand what will sell."
- "Constant dripping wears away the stone. I've been waiting in the abyss for this day. No one shall interfere!"
- "It smells of the sea here. This place has the same ocean smell as where I was born…"
- "Ghetsis wandered the lands of this world all over, collecting knowledge of all kinds while searching for like-minded people. From the moment we met, he understood what I desired."
- "The ability to understand the minds and the needs of others… This is an ability that everyone needs to survive. My lord N is a kind and excellent person who understands the hearts of Pokémon. But, conversely, perhaps his ability to understand the hearts and feelings of people is not developed enough."
- "But… Even that was part of the perfection of Ghetsis's plan. When it comes to Ghetsis, I cannot separate the truths from the lies. See this? I received it from Ghetsis, but I no longer need it. I hope you can put it to good use."
- "Someday, if my lord N develops the ability to understand the feelings of people as well as Pokémon, I would like us to gather again. More than anything, I want to see N confront Ghetsis."
- "If that is what you desire…"
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
- "Oh! So you're interested in Team Plasma, are you?"
- "My guest. If you're going to come inside, I would like to see what kind of person you are, Trainer. That's right. In a Pokémon battle. Do you find this acceptable?"
- Yes:"Let us begin!"
- No:"Then, I'm afraid I must ask you to leave."
- "Ho! You fight as if you really understand your Pokémon!"
- "I apologize for testing you. Being former members of Team Plasma, we must deal with a lot… "
- "And that is? Your friend? He may join us."
- "Let me introduce myself again. My name is Rood."
- "More accurately, we're former members of Team Plasma. Because of the incident two years ago, we started taking care of the Pokémon that were separated from their Trainers as a way to atone for our misdeeds. And you are?"
- "Is that so… My sincerest apologies…"
- "The Pokémon you speak of is not in this place. I imagine it is still being used by Team Plasma now. Just as you say, our apologizing doesn't solve anything. But you can't move forward unless you admit you were wrong and apologize…"
- "Team Plasma made Trainers like him suffer… I feel terrible about it… How foolish we were… <Player>, as you can see, I can't do anything to thank you. Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. Could you please look after this Pokémon, Zorua?"
- Yes:"Oh! Thank you!"
- No:"If you change your mind, please come speak to me again."
- "That Zorua is one of the Pokémon that my lord N relied on as a friend during his journey."
- "My lord N is a wonderful person who has the power to understand the hearts of Pokémon. But still, he has much to learn about understanding the hearts of people... I hope he will develop this skill while he travels with the legendary Pokémon to atone for the trouble he caused in Unova as the king of Team Plasma."
- "That Pokémon…?"
- "Oh, Cobalion! What a noble presence!"
- "Unforgivable… So the reach of Ghetsis's ambition and malice is growing ever wider and warping the lives of all it touches…"
- "Did Cobalion appear in front of you merely by accident? Or to plead with you to solve a problem? Unlike Lord N, I don't have the ability to understand the minds of Pokémon. Therefore, I don't know what that Pokémon is thinking. But if you can befriend Cobalion, it will be a great asset to you on your journey."
- Before Team Plasma's withdrawal
- "Aah! I will say it as many times as it takes until you understand! Ghetsis's real plan was to take over the Unova region! Liberating Pokémon was nothing more than an excuse! If anything, it would've made Pokémon suffer!"
- "Are your Pokémon OK? You should take these with you!"
- "You, too."
- "At times like these, those whose hearts weaken, those whose determination falters, can accomplish nothing! To save our old allies, to protect Unova, we will fight!"
- "Both of you, go! No, just a moment… Hugh, was it? About the Pokémon you're looking for… In all likelihood, it is in the possession of the Shadow Triad--the dark warriors who appear silently."
- "At that time, I believed we were on the side of justice. By serving my king, N, I was going to make a world without war. But I was conceited, and I couldn't see the unhappiness we were causing. That's why I can't let it happen again!"
- After Team Plasma's withdrawal
- "Oh! You're safe! I'm so glad! As for Team Plasma's ship, a man in a white lab coat appeared. He said that a Trainer had given him the answer he'd been seeking, and, as thanks, he would disband Team Plasma…Then he said, "Farewell! Walk a just path with Pokémon!" and he flew the ship away. So everything has been resolved. We were even able to confirm that Lord N is safe."
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Rood appears as a member of the Seven Sages in the Black & White chapter. Three years prior to the start of the chapter, he is tasked with finding the Mythical Pokémon Victini so that it may use its powers to bring victory for Team Plasma.
Rood first appears alongside the other sages in Letting Go walking with Ghetsis after the latter gave a speech on releasing Pokémon to the public. Although not seen in person, he sends three Team Plasma Grunts to capture Victini for Team Plasma on Liberty Garden. They were defeated by Black, who used Victini's ability to bring victory to help him defeat the Grunts' Pokémon. After N awakens Zekrom from the Dark Stone, Rood and the other sages watch as N attempts to befriend Zekrom and have it join Team Plasma's cause.
At the Pokémon League, Team Plasma enacts its plan and summons N's Castle from the depths of the earth to surround the League building. Rood and the other Sages emerge from the castle as they watch the chaos unfold. Black attempts to confront them, but Ghetsis easily defeats Black's team. With no way to save the Gym Leaders, stop the Grunts causing havoc below, and face N in battle, Black is assisted by several Trainers that he had met over the course of his journey. The Trainers battle against the sages and rescue the Gym Leaders from the bindings. The Gym Leaders then help battle the sages, but Rood and the others eventually escape from the battle without being seen.
In the Black 2 & White 2 chapter, Rood was revealed to be the direct superior to Whi-Two and her mother when they were both Team Plasma Grunts.
| Lampent was used at the Pokémon League to combat the Trainers helping Black rescue the kidnapped Gym Leaders. When the Gym Leaders were freed, Lampent was left to fight alone with the other sages' Pokémon after the Seven Sages escaped.
Lampent's only known move is Hex.
- Rood is the only sage that gives a TM that raises the user's stats by a total of one stage. The TMs given by the other sages either raise one stat two stages or two stats one stage.
- In Black and White, Rood quotes a proverb from the Analects and makes a reference to a Chinese idiom at N's Castle.
- Rood can be seen as Zinzolin's parallel in that Rood is a sage who decided to stay with the sect that remains loyal to N while Zinzolin joins the other sect that is loyal to Ghetsis.
- The Zorua given to the player by Rood has 30 IV's in every stat.
||From Rot, German for red
||From rood, Dutch for red
||From rubeus, Latin for red
||From rosso, red
||From ruĝa, Esperanto for red
||Transliteration of Japanese name
||Transliteration of his Japanese name