Pokémon Professor(Redirected from Pokémon researcher)
- This article is about the Professors specializing in Pokémon. For the TCG tournament term, see Professor Program (TCG).
A Pokémon Professor (Japanese: ポケモン博士 Pokémon Expert) is considered an expert on Pokémon in his or her respective region. Pokémon Professors are often researchers as well, and many times they are the ones responsible for distributing Pokédexes and giving the player their first Pokémon. The first Pokémon Professor introduced in the games and anime, Professor Oak, was also the first NPC ever seen in the main series games. He also has made the most appearances in the main series games, appearing in all games but the Hoenn-based ones, the Unova-based ones, and the Kalos-based ones.
Several known Pokémon Professors have had reports published in Pokémon Researchers Monthly, such as "Pokémon adaptive variation as a function of regional distribution" by Professor Ivy and "Challenges facing anthro-Pokémon global co-habitation" by Professor Oak.
List of Pokémon professors
- Professor Oak of the Kanto region, who studies the relationships between Pokémon and humans.
- Professor Elm of the Johto region, who studies Pokémon breeding patterns.
- Professor Birch of the Hoenn region, who studies Pokémon habitats.
- Professor Rowan of the Sinnoh region, who studies Pokémon evolution.
- Professor Juniper of the Unova region, who studies the origins of Pokémon.
- Professor Sycamore of the Kalos region, who studies Mega Evolution and change.
Others in the core series
- Professor Cozmo, a meteoriticist of Fallarbor Town, Hoenn.
- Fennel of Striaton City, Unova, Professor Juniper's friend who specializes in studying Pokémon Trainers, as well as studying Pokémon dreams.
- Cedric Juniper of the Unova region, Professor Juniper's father who used to be a Pokémon researcher. He studies Pokémon distribution and biology.
- Professor Andrew Park, who runs the Poké Transfer Lab.
- Colress, a researcher who studies Pokémon strength.
- Professor Silktree, mentioned in a note on the PC in the Ruins of Alph in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver as the founder of the Research Center.
- Bugsy, the Gym Leader of Azalea Town's Gym, is not only a Bug-type specialist, but also a researcher of Bug-type Pokemon
- Professor Krane of the Orre region, who specializes in the purification of Shadow Pokémon.
- Dr. Kaminko of the Orre region, who specializes in the creation of Robo-Pokémon.
- Professor P of the unnamed region featured in Pokémon Trozei!, head of SOL, who invented the Trozei Beamer.
- Professor Hastings of the Oblivia, Fiore and Almia regions, who created the Capture Styler, used by Pokémon Rangers.
Other fields of study
In the anime
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the anime include:
- Dr. Fuji, creator of Mewtwo.
- Professor Westwood V of the Seafoam Islands, Kanto.
- Professor Ivy of the Orange Islands, who studies the regional differences between Pokémon.
- Gary Oak of Pallet Town, Kanto, is a Pokémon researcher known to have researched Fossil Pokémon, successfully resurrecting a living Aerodactyl and researching the habitat of supposedly extinct Shieldon. He has also shown interest in the legendary Pokémon of Sinnoh.
- Dr. Gordon of Saffron City, Kanto, Pokémon inventions specialist.
- Professor Jacuzzi, Gulpin specialist.
- Professor Lund of LaRousse City, Hoenn, the leading authority on Deoxys.
- Professor Kodama, inventor of the "Affinity enabler".
- Dr. Namba, a Team Rocket scientist.
- Dr. Wiseman, a researcher of Shiny Pokémon
- Bugsy is not only a Bug-type specialist, but also a researcher of Bug-type Pokemon
Other fields of Pokémon study
Pokémon computer scientists
- Dr. Akihabara, anime-canon creator of the Pokémon Transfer System and Porygon.
- Dr. Yung, inventor of the Mirage Pokémon system.
- Eve, discoverer of the ancient lost city of Pokémopolis.
- Professor Telesu, who was doing research on hieroglyphics near a Slowpoke colony.
- Professor Hale of Greenfield, Johto, who researched rare and legendary Pokémon including the Unown.
- Professor Alden of Oldale Town, Hoenn, who studied ancient ruins in Hoenn.
- Professor Carolina of Celestic Town, Sinnoh, head of the Celestic Town Historical Research Center.
- A Nurse Joy of the Orange Archipelago, who led the expedition to Kabuto Fossil Island.
- Dora, who worked with Gary at the Sayda Lab.
- Professor Proctor of Wales Island, Hoenn.
- Dr. Kenzo of Oreburgh City, Sinnoh, in charge of Oreburgh Museum’s Fossil-restoration program.
- Professor Serena of Bomba Island, Hoenn, who teaches at the Pokémon Battle Judge Training Institute.
Other fields of study
In the manga
Other professors, scientists, and researchers introduced in the various manga include:
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Apart from the main Professors of each region, there are also two notable Pokémon researchers, Professor Yanase Berlitz of the Sinnoh region who researched ways to control legendary Pokémon such as Rayquaza, and Mr. Berlitz, her husband. Currently both of them work as Professor Rowan's assistants.
- All core series Professors are named after a type of tree.
In other languages
|This Trainer Class article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|