| The subject of this article has no official name.|
The name currently in use is a fan designator; see below for more information.
The original series (Japanese: ポケットモンスター Pocket Monsters) is the first series of the Pokémon anime and is based on the events of the core series Generation I and II Pokémon games. Unlike later series, the original series' name is entirely conjectural, used only to differentiate it from later series. It was succeeded by the Advanced Generation series. It ran from April 1, 1997 to November 14, 2002 in Japan and from September 7, 1998 to October 25, 2003 in the United States.
During the original series, rookie Trainer Ash Ketchum begins his journey in the Kanto region, leaving his home of Pallet Town with the only starter Pokémon that Professor Oak had left to give: a reluctant and moody Pikachu. Ash's quest begins in earnest to defeat all of the Gym Leaders and get to the Pokémon League as soon as he has gained Pikachu's trust, and he is joined by two mentors, Misty and Brock.
After competing in the Indigo Plateau Conference and not performing as well as he had hoped, Ash journeys to the Orange Archipelago to receive the GS Ball from Professor Ivy, as it cannot be transported to Professor Oak by PC. During his time there, Ash competes in another Pokémon League, the Orange League and meets a new friend named Tracey Sketchit. When Oak cannot figure out how to open the GS Ball on Ash's return to Pallet, the Professor sends Ash to Johto to give the special Poké Ball to Kurt. While there, Ash again competes in a Pokémon League, the Silver Conference.
The original series is officially divided into three chapters:
- Pocket Monsters (ポケットモンスター) (EP001–EP080)
- Pocket Monsters: Orange Archipelago Chapter (ポケットモンスター オレンジ諸島編) (EP081–EP116)
- Pocket Monsters: Gold & Silver Chapter (ポケットモンスター 金銀編) (EP117–EP274)
- Pokémon: Indigo League (EP001 - EP080)
- Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands (EP081 - EP116)
- Pokémon: The Johto Journeys (EP117 - EP157)
- Pokémon: Johto League Champions (EP158 - EP209)
- Pokémon: Master Quest (EP210 - EP274)
Alternate Ash art
- Originally, this series of the anime was only to have lasted a year and a half, approximately as long as the Kanto saga lasted.
- This is the only series based on two different generations of the core series Pokémon games, being based on both Generation I and II.
- At 274 episodes, this is the anime's longest series.
- This series also has the most dub seasons, with five.
- This series contains the most movies of any series, with five.
- The first 40 episodes where originally aired in Syndication in the United States in 1998 before moving to Kids' WB! in 1999 for the remaining 39 episodes.
- This is the only series in which Ash doesn't have the same group of regular traveling companions for the entire series, with Brock briefly being swapped out for Tracey Sketchit during the Orange League.
In other languages
|Mandarin Chinese||神奇寶貝無印篇 Shénqíbǎobèi: Wúyìnpiān|
|Korean||포켓몬스터 Pocket Monster|
|This article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|