Monopoly: Pokémon Edition is a special edition of the classic Monopoly game adapted towards Pokémon, focused on the Red and Blue versions as well as the anime. It was released in 1999 by Parker Brothers.
Changes from the original Monopoly
- The currency is the Pokémon Dollar ().
- Blue Pokémon Centers and red Poké Marts replace houses and hotels, respectively.
- Professor Oak and Trainer Battle spaces and cards replace chance and Community Chest spaces and cards, respectively
- The four types of Poké Balls, in ascending order of power, replace the railroads.
- The property spaces correspond to the eight Kanto Gym Leaders and their Pokémon.
- Buying a property is equivalent to catching the Pokémon, and owning the lot is equivalent to acquiring the Badge.
- Gary Attacks and Team Rocket Attacks spaces replace the Income Tax and Luxury Tax spaces, respectively.
- Zapdos and Articuno replace the Electric Company and Water Works spaces respectively.
Pokémon playing pieces
Doubles power ability
Rolling doubles allows a player to do one of two options. He or she can roll again as normal, or the player can activate a Pokémon power based on the dice. If the power is activated, the player must end the turn after invoking it. The powers cannot be used if the player rolled doubles to get out of jail.
- Double Ones
"Teleport like Mewtwo and go anywhere." If the player passes GO, collect $200. The player may not teleport to Jail.
- Double Twos
"Rest like Clefairy and collect $200 from the Bank."
- Double Threes
"Use Leech Seed like Bulbasaur and collect $50 from each player."
- Double Fours
"Meet Professor Oak." The player gets to draw a Professor Oak card.
- Double Fives
"Fight in a Trainer Battle." The player gets to draw a Trainer Battle card.
- Double Sixes
"Attack to control one of another player’s gym lots." The player selects a Pokémon that an opposing player owns that is not part of a color group. Both players roll the dice. The player who rolls the higher number takes (or keeps) control of the lot. In the event of a tie, both players roll again.
The color groups
Brock’s Gym (Purple)
Misty’s Gym (Light Blue)
Lt. Surge’s Gym (Purple)
Erika’s Gym (Orange)
Sabrina’s Gym (Red)
Koga’s Gym (Yellow)
Blaine’s Gym (Green)
Giovanni’s Gym (Blue)