Lucario in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
Lucario (Japanese: ルカリオ Lucario) is a playable character in the Super Smash Bros. series. Its voice and characterization are based on Sir Aaron's Lucario, giving it the ability to speak telepathically.
Lucario can be unlocked by either playing 100 matches, completing all five target smashes with a single character, or recruiting him in the Subspace Emissary. His home stage is Spear Pillar.
Lucario is a character with a unique mechanic - the vast majority of its attacks use aura to damage opponents. Aura attacks get smaller and weaker when Lucario is at low damage, while they get larger and stronger at high damage - a fresh Lucario will only be doing 0.7x damage, while one at 170% or above will be doing 1.4x damage. Aura is also stronger when Lucario is losing the match, and weaker when it is ahead. This makes Lucario the ultimate risk-reward character, encouraging close matches and come-from-behind victories.
Aside from the aura mechanic, Lucario has relatively fast attacking speed and above-average maneuverability. His floatiness in the air is complimented by a solid set of aerial attacks, which put together provide it with a varied set of options for approaching or defending, and he can both wall jump and wall cling for additional movement and recovery. On the ground, Lucario's movement and attacks are slower than average.
|Standard Special Move||Side Special Move||Up Special Move||Down Special Move||Final Smash|
Lucario first appears meditating on the top of Glacial Peak, where he duels Meta Knight. The player can choose to be either character, with a different cutscene showing if one wins and another if the other does, with the winner reviving the loser from their trophy state. After that, Lucario joins the main party, and goes with Snake and Meta Knight throughout the next level. Lucario teams up with Snake and Meta Knight in order to battle Peach and Zelda, who have been consumed by Subspace bugs. Once they are defeated, Lucario and the others must battle a giant robot based on Dialga and Palkia atop the Halberd. After that, Lucario and the others meet up with the rest of the heroes and proceed to the Subspace World. After traveling through it, all of the heroes, including Lucario, are turned back into trophies by Tabuu. However, he is later revived by Luigi, Ness, King Dedede and Kirby. Lucario, along with the other characters, go through the Great Maze and defeat Tabuu, saving the world.
Codec information (on Shadow Moses Island)
- Mei Ling: "You're fighting Lucario, aren't you, Snake?"
- Snake: "Mei Ling, what's that purple fire coming out of his hands?"
- Mei Ling: "That's his 'Aura'."
- Snake: "Aura?"
- Mei Ling: "I guess you could call it his life force. Lucario can use his own Aura and turn it into power. Every time Lucario's damage increases, his aura gains strength, making his attacks more powerful. So don't think you've got him beat just because his health is down."
- Snake: "The cornered rat will bite the cat... Sounds like trouble."
- Mei Ling: "Hey! When did you become so good with proverbs?!"
- Snake: "You must have rubbed off on me."
- Mei Ling: "Well, come back in one piece, and I'll teach you all the Chinese proverbs you can handle."
An Aura Pokémon. It can track energy called Aura, which is given off by all living creatures. It's a unique combination of both Fighting and Steel-type Pokémon. Lucario evolves from Riolu during the day if its happiness has reached its maximum point. It specializes in attacks that use Aura energy, like Dark Pulse and a can't-miss technique, Aura Sphere.
Lucario's Final Smash. After flying off the screen, Lucario reappears in its center. It then launches a powerful Aura attack against all foes within a certain distance. The key to this attack is the ability to change its angle--it's a must sweep slowly left and right to hit selected enemies multiple times. The last blow will send the victim flying away.
Lucario returns as a playable fighter where unlike Brawl Lucario is now part of the opening roster. This time around, it can Mega Evolve into Mega Lucario for its Final Smash. As Mega Lucario, it can temporarily enhance Lucario's Aura attacks to max power similar to if Lucario under normal circumstances had already taken too much damage. In All-Star Mode, Lucario is fought in the 2001-2006 stretch. In the 3DS version, it is the last opponent, fought after Ike on either 3D Land, Distant Planet, or Tortimer Island. In the Wii U version, it is one of the first opponents fought, alongside Ike and Zero Suit Samus, on either Castle Siege, Garden of Hope, Mario Circuit, Pyrosphere, Town and City, or Smashville.
|—||Standard Special Move||Side Special Move||Up Special Move||Down Special Move||Final Smash|
Snaring Aura Sphere
Advancing Force Palm
Ride the Wind
Piercing Aura Sphere
Long-Distance Force Palm
Extreme Speed Attack
Stunning Double Team
- Viridi: What the heck is that?!
- Pit: Oh, that's Lucario. What about it?
- Viridi: I've never seen a creature with a life force like that! It's like a current of water. Or a whirlpool!
- Palutena: Oh, you mean Lucario's Aura.
- Viridi: Aura?
- Palutena: Lucario can sense the life force-or Aura-emanating from all living things. As Lucario takes more damage, its own Aura grows stronger.
- Viridi: Ingenious! Lucario sounds like a perfect fit for the Forces of Nature.
- Pit: We need to focus on the fight at hand.
- Viridi: You focus on the fight at hand. I gotta catch my new recruit.
- Pit: No! Stop!
- Palutena: Pit, a wounded Lucario is stronger than it looks. Be extra careful when it's taken lots of damage.
NA: A Fighting/Steel-type Pokémon that excels in combat through the reading and manipulation of Aura. As Lucario takes more damage, its attacks grow in strength. At maximum power, Lucario deals triple damage and its Aura Sphere is particularly devastating! Foes won't even know what hit them!
PAL: This Fighting- and Steel-type Pokémon can sense the movements of its enemies using its Aura abilities, and is even said to be able to see enemies when they're invisible. As it takes damage, its attacks grow in strength. At maximum power, its deals triple damage, which can make its Aura Sphere attack a real force to be reckoned with!
NA: Lucario's up special Extreme Speed will send this Pokémon soaring on the path you choose. Lucario flies farther the more damage it's taken. Lucario makes use of its Aura for the side special Force Palm. At extremely close range, Lucario will grab an enemy first, dealing additional damage.
PAL: The Extreme Speed up special sends Lucario rushing in your chosen direction, and you can adjust the flight path mid-air. Also, the more damage Lucario takes, the further it will go. For the Force Palm side special, Lucario attacks with its Aura. Using it while close to an enemy adds a grab to the move and deals extra damage.
- The mechanic of Lucario's attack power being dependent on his current damage does not exist within the core series, though it is similar to the move Reversal or the Abilities Guts and Anger Point (although Lucario is incapable of possessing said Abilities).
- This Lucario appears to be based on the Lucario that appeared in Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, based on his ability to speak human language. It is voiced by Daisuke Namikawa in Japanese and, as of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, Sean Schemmel in English, both of whom voiced Lucario in the movie.
- For more information on this Pokémon's species, see Lucario.