From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
This is about the state Shadow Pokémon enter in Pokémon Colosseum. For its equivalent in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, see Reverse Mode.
Hyper Mode (Japanese: ハイパー状態 Hyper State) is a condition Shadow Pokémon will sometimes enter in Pokémon Colosseum.
A Shadow Pokémon enters Hyper Mode during a Pokémon battle, and it will spend a turn having its emotions "rise to a fever pitch". It will only have a chance of entering Hyper Mode if it has been ordered to use Shadow Rush. Its status meter will turn red and black, and an Aura of the same color will appear around the Pokémon, presumably only seen by Rui.
Effects of Hyper Mode
- Shadow Rush has an increased critical hit ratio.
- If the Pokémon is ordered to use any move other than Shadow Rush, it may take one of the following actions instead:
- It may disobey and use another move (usually Shadow Rush).
- It may turn and attack its teammate.
- It may attempt to use its item, even if it isn't holding one.
- It may hurt itself, as if it were confused.
- It may attack its Trainer or the opposing Trainer.
- If it is in the middle of a two-turn move such as Fly, there is a small chance it will leave Hyper Mode on its own.
- It may do nothing at all.
- It may return to its Poké Ball, even if it under the effect of Block, Mean Look, or Spider Web. (If there is no Pokémon it can switch with, it will try but be unable to switch.)
- Items cannot be used on a Pokémon in Hyper Mode, with the obvious exception of Scents.
Ending Hyper Mode
Hyper Mode can be ended by either calling to a Pokémon in battle, using a Scent on it, leaving it at the Pokémon Day Care, or recovering on its own. Doing this will "open the door to its heart" a bit and bring it closer to being purified. Some Shadow Pokémon respond to this better than others, based on their natures (even if the heart gauge isn't sufficiently empty to discover the Shadow Pokémon's nature), even going so far as to have a whole fifth of their heart gauge cleared just by calling it out of Hyper Mode.
In other languages