The Goldenrod Game Corner (Japanese: コガネゲームコーナー Kogane Game Corner) is a Game Corner located in Goldenrod City, Johto. It appears in Pokémon Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver, and is similar to the Celadon Game Corner in Kanto in these games, with the main differences between the two Game Corners being the prizes available in each.
In the Korean and Western releases of HeartGold and SoulSilver, as a result of changes in the classification standards at PEGI, which previously impacted the European releases of Pokémon Platinum (including the English version), Game Freak decided to alter the layout of the Goldenrod Game Corner to better fit the replacement minigame Voltorb Flip.
"Your Playground!"GSC, "A Safe and Sound Playground!"HGSS
In Generation II and Japanese HeartGold and SoulSilver
Like the Celadon Game Corner in the Generation I games, the Goldenrod Game Corner hosts a set of slot machines.
One to three coins can be put in the slot machine each play. One coin will only count the center row across, two coins will count all three rows across, and three coins will count all three rows across as well as both diagonals. The reels stop spinning when the player presses the A button.
In the Generation II games, several things can happen when 7's appear on a reel:
- When one 7 displays on the reels, sometimes the second one will spin down to a 7 as well.
- Several Golem will drop when two 7's are lined up.
- The third reel will move by itself when two 7's are lined up.
- A Chansey will appear and use Egg Bomb to spin the reels.
In the Japanese versions of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, a bonus round is added for lining up three 7's or three Poké Balls lasting for 15 or 8 rounds respectively.
- Main article: Card flip
The card flip minigame is exclusive to the Generation II games. The player can pick either a card or a group of cards in a manner similar to Roulette. The 24-card deck has cards numbered from one through six, with suits marked by illustrations of Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Oddish, and Poliwag. Bets can be placed in a variety of ways, with the final payout depending on the bet method.
In Korean and Western HeartGold and SoulSilver
- Main article: Voltorb Flip
The Voltorb Flip minigame is exclusive to the Korean and Western releases of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver and replaces the slot machines present in the Japanese version. Pre-release reviews of the game described Voltorb Flip as "Minesweeper meets Picross".
The game features a five-by-five grid of tiles, underneath which are hidden numbers (which multiply the player's score if located) and Voltorb (which Selfdestruct and cause the player to lose all points). The player has a chance to figure out where the Voltorb are located by using the clues provided: the number of coins and Voltorb in each line and column are noted at the sides of the playing field. If the player can find all of the 2× and 3× multipliers, they will be able to advance to harder levels. Winning at this game, as before, will earn the player Coins, which can be traded for prizes.
|| TM78 (Captivate)
|| Next to the plant near the entrance (Japanese version only)
|| HG SS
In the manga
Goldenrod Game Corner in Pokémon Adventures
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
The Goldenrod Game Corner appeared in Gligar Glide, where Gold was seen playing a game of pool there. However, as soon as it turned out that Gold was cheating by using Aibo's Poké Ball as a disguised white ball, he was thrown out of the building.
- Although the Goldenrod and Celadon Game Corners were changed in the non-Japanese releases of Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, all versions (Japanese, Korean, and Western) have every map of the Game Corners: in the Japanese versions, the maps related to Voltorb Flip and Mr. Game are unused and have no events or warps programmed, while the Korean and Western versions have the original maps with their warps intact, plus the event to interact with the clerk is still present and the interface used to buy coins is functional and was translated. TM78 (Captivate) also remains in the unused Goldenrod Game Corner in the Korean and Western versions, and the slot machines in the leftover maps trigger Voltorb Flip in these versions.
- In Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, it is possible to listen to the Poké Flute here after obtaining the EXPN Card for the Pokégear.