| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Needs BW Unown.
|This article does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this article to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.|
Normally the Unown Dex should display for each entry an Unown. This limits the valid values to 26, while there are 256 possible values. For this reason there are 230 hexadecimal values in the Unown Dex where the data no longer consists of a valid Unown's picture and name. Index numbers past 26 presumably represent unrelated data encoded as "Unown" data.
Registering glitch Unown
To register a glitch Unown in the Unown Dex, the player may obtain a ????? (Hex FF) as a bad clone from the Celebi Egg glitch. If the ????? is placed as the first Pokémon in the party, the player can use the "MOVE PKMN W/O MAIL" option to withdraw over 6 Pokémon.
This corrupts RAM data located past the expected end of the Pokémon data structure, although there are only a limited amount of Pokémon that the player can withdraw before the game freezes.
If details about a 'post-6' Pokémon conflicts with data about Pokémon in the Unown Dex, then it is possible to replace entries with glitch Unown, provided that the player already has the Unown Dex, for example the index number of the current fourth move's PP of Pokémon #11 conflicts with RAM data associated with the first Unown.
It is possible to replace the first Unown with a glitch Unown this way provided that the player used PP Ups to raise its associated index number past 26.
In the process of obtaining glitch Unown, the player will be corrupting the values of other RAM addresses such as those determining seen or owned Pokémon in the Pokédex, or the number of options on the menu.
Glitch Unown types and forms
- Static: the glitch Unown takes its data from an address in the game's RAM which is not related to the player's location. As result, the glitch Unown has a unique sprite.
- Dynamic: the glitch Unown takes its data even partially from the player's location. The glitch Unown will change its sprite depending on where the Unown Dex is displayed.
- Influenced by the Pokédex Mode: by changing the Pokédex Mode the glitch Unown will change.
- Letters: the glitch Unown is composed of Unown's letters on a black background.
- Lines and/or squares: the glitch Unown is made up of black lines or of black/white squares.
- Mixed: means that the glitch Unown is made up of symbols and/or of scrambled Pokémon pictures.
- Unknown: some glitch Unown can't have their description shown because they freeze the game when accessed.
A glitch Unown can trigger several other glitches when displayed, including corruption of the Pokédex, corrupted graphics, the Trainer House glitch, corruption of the saved file, and/or the glitch dimension effect. The message "No windows available for popping" may also appear. Glitch messages, which will be placed directly in the player's mailbox (listed below), may appear as well.
List of glitch Unown which cause glitch messages
This is a list of glitch Unown that change the values associated to the player's mailbox, with the exact amount of glitch messages that will be added. Missing hexadecimal values will not corrupt the player's mailbox.
|Videos are currently unavailable on Bulbapedia; instead, you can watch the video on YouTube here.|
|This glitch Pokémon article is part of Project GlitchDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on glitches in the Pokémon games.|