| Why? Wynaut!
Sohnano!? Gym Badges and Sonans!!
|| July 4, 2002
| United States
|| June 28, 2003
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 酒井啓史 Hiroshi Sakai
| Additional credits
Why? Wynaut! (Japanese: ソーナノ！？ジムバッジとソーナンス！！ Sohnano!? Gym Badges and Sonans!!) is the 255th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 4, 2002 and in the United States on June 28, 2003.
Having defeated Clair and earned his eighth gym badge, Ash must now set out for the Johto League championship, which he learns is to be held on Mt Silver in three months time. As Ash heads toward New Bark Town, where he will register for entry in this competition, he is stopped by two reporters who ask for a shot of the trainer making his triumphant return. The reporters turn out to be none other than Jessie and James of Team Rocket. They trick Ash out of all eight of his badges, but the plan backfires when a passing Wynaut steals the badges from Wobbuffet. Remembering each of the eight victories that earned him these badges, Ash sets out after Team Rocket, determined to get back what is rightfully his.
After the gym battle, Clair treated everyone with breakfast, Ash was excited that he finally got eight gym badges and can enter the Johto League. Clair states that the Johto League Silver Conference is going to be held in Silver Town three months from now. Ash says he'll go to Newbark Town to register for the Silver Conference.
Ash plans to go to New Bark Town to register for the Johto Silver Conference now that he has all eight Badges even though the Silver Conference is in three months. Team Rocket has plans of their own, they decide to steal Ash’s Badges for their own purposes. Meowth and James want to sell the badges, while Jessie wants to enter the Silver Conference using them. While they were talking a Wynaut took they're bag of doughnut holes and Team Rocket assumed it was Wobbuffet who ate all their doughnut holes. They are successful in stealing his Badges and run away with them.
Meanwhile, while Wobbuffet takes the badges to a place to meet, he smells some berries and thinks that Team Rocket will respect him better if he picked some berries for them. While he's picking berries he meets Wynaut in the woods who steals the Badges from Team Rocket. When Ash realizes his loss of Badges he goes through the list of the Gym Leaders he fought to get them.
Wobbuffet tries to explain what happened and draws a picture of Wynaut. James believes that a Wynaut drawing by Wobbuffet was his childhood nanny, but after Wobbuffet states that the thief was blue, Jessie believes a Wooper stole the Badges, and they try to find one. While Ash tries on his own to try to find the Badges. Noctowl and Bayleef find Wynaut and the Badges and some berries it has in a box. But when Team Rocket find Bayleef with the Badges, they attack Bayleef and escape with the Badges. Clair comes in with Dragonair to chase the Rocket balloon. When Ash gets his Badges back he realizes he’s missing his Rising Badge, and Wynaut appears holding the Badge. It hands it to Bayleef and escapes without Ash seeing it. Now that Ash has all eight Badges, Clair tells Ash the directions to New Bark Town to register for the Johto League Silver Conference.
- On Pokémon.com, the episode is called Why? Wynaut without the exclamation point. The title card of the episode calls it another title, Why? Why Not!, instead.
- Some dubs, like Iberian Spanish, use translations of the second title whereas others, like Latin American Spanish, use the first.
- Throughout the entire Blackthorn City arc, Wynaut is never seen by a human. This perhaps accounts for its perceived rarity outside of Hoenn.
- This is one of the few times in the anime a member of Team Rocket (in this case, Jessie) refers to Ash by his name and not "twerp" or "brat". The first time was in Electric Shock Showdown when Meowth was cheering for Pikachu and Ash, the second time was in Fire and Ice when Jessie was talking about how the crowd was cheering for Ash, and the third time was in Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up when she addresses Brock as "Brock".
- They were in disguise during the first, third and fourth incidents.
- This is the only episode where a Pokémon from a future Generation is used in Dare da?.
- Music from Pikachu's Rescue Adventure can be heard during Wobbuffet's fantasy.
- This episode is featured on Pokémon All-Stars: Wobbuffet from Magna Pacific's Pokémon All-Stars series.
- When remembering his Badges, Ash says he received the Glacier Badge twice. The first one was actually the Zephyr Badge.
- Meowth was holding the leaf that had Ash's Badges in it, then it shows Meowth holding nothing, and then holding the leaf again.
- Ash says he won his Plain Badge from Whitney in the Goldenrod Gym; however, this is incorrect as he won it on her uncle's Miltank farm. Though it's highly possible he was referring to how she is the Gym Leader at Goldenrod.
- In the recap of the previous episode, the Seismic Toss animation is flawed.
- There is a repeated frame when Team Rocket finds Ash's badges.
In other languages