- Extreme Pokémon! redirects here. For the book, see Extreme Pokémon: The Guide for the Ultimate Fan.
| Extreme Pokémon!
Run Quickly Along the Pokémon Ride!!
|| December 13, 2001
| United States
|| January 4, 2003
|| Team Ota
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| よこた和 Kazu Yokota
| Assistant director
|| 大町繁 Shigeru Ōmachi
| Animation director
|| 酒井啓史 Hiroshi Sakai
| Additional credits
Extreme Pokémon! (Japanese: ポケモンライドでつっぱしれ！！ Run Quickly Along the Pokémon Ride!!) is the 228th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on December 13, 2001 and in the United States on January 4, 2003.
On their way to Mahogany City, Ash, Misty, and Brock run into Gary and his Arcanine practicing for a meet. Ash decides he wants to enter the meet but needs a sleigh, which he receives from a local Pokemon breeder. Team Rocket no sooner gets wind of the meet than do they begin sabotaging it, stealing Gary's Arcanine midway through the race and making off with some Pokemon eggs stored at the local breeding center. After a short battle with Team Rocket, Arcanine is returned to Gary and Ash goes on to win the race, a trophy, and an unexpected gift from the Pokemon breeder.
While Ash, Misty and Brock are on their way to Mahogany Town, they meet Gary and his Arcanine and learn of the Extreme Pokémon contest that he is entering the next day: a race in which Trainers are pulled on skateboards by one of their Pokémon. At a restaurant in the town of Eggseter, they meet Mr. Shellby, who runs a Pokémon Daycare center with his wife. Ash expresses interest in the Extreme Pokémon race, and Mr. Shellby offers to help.
At Mr. Shellby's Daycare Center, Ash, Misty, and Brock meet several of the recently-hatched baby Pokémon. Ash borrows Mr. Shellby's skateboard and, while trying it out, is saved from a fall by Gary's Arcanine. Gary discovers that Ash is competing in the Extreme Pokémon competition, and they each vow to best the other.
Ash chooses his Bayleef for the race, and the two train together while Team Rocket watches and plans to capture the strongest Pokémon in the upcoming race. Mr. Shellby shows Ash a dummy Egg, which will be needed for the final leg of the race.
Soon after the beginning of the race, Ash and Gary battle for the lead. Team Rocket floats overhead and sends down a net to capture Gary's Arcanine. They catch Arcanine and raise it up to the balloon. Ash commands his Bayleef to launch him at the balloon, and he uses his skateboard to pierce it. Ash lands with the balloon, Team Rocket, and Arcanine at Mr. Shellby's house. As Arcanine escapes from Team Rocket, James steals a batch of Pokémon Eggs from Mr. Shellby. Jessie sends out her Arbok to defend the team as they escape, but Bayleef appears and battles Arbok. Arbok overpowers Bayleef but Gary arrives just in time and commands Arcanine to Take Down Arbok. Team Rocket resorts to running away, but Ash's Bayleef reclaims the Eggs using her vines, and Team Rocket is sent blasting off again by Arcanine's Flame Wheel.
Ash and Gary are still in the lead, but the rest of the competitors are catching up. They are given their dummy Eggs by Mr. Shellby and continue the race. Gary is slightly ahead of Ash, but Ash works out a way to gain the lead and to win the race in a photo finish. Gary is at first annoyed but takes it in good faith.
Later, Mr. Shellby and his wife say goodbye to Ash, Brock and Misty. They give Ash a light blue Pokémon Egg as a present, and the trio set off toward Mahogany Town.
Dummy Eggs without the Poké Ball images.
- It is speculated that the use of skateboards in this episode may be a reference to the popular idea that Pokémon Gold and Silver may have originally used a skateboard for the player's transportation.
- The Brazilian Portuguese title for this episode is a reference to The Most Extreme, a show on Animal Planet. In Brazil, this show is called Animal ao Extremo.
- At the start of the race, when Machamp is shown to be running, it makes the sound of a Machoke.
- When the dummy Eggs are shown a second time, there aren't any pictures of Poké Balls on them.
- When Meowth states that all the baby Pokémon will belong to Team Rocket, a Machamp and a Rhydon are included in his fantasy.
- Once or twice, Bayleef's mouth does not move when her voice is heard.
- When Ash sends out his Bayleef, the cut on her leaf is missing.
- After Team Rocket steals Gary's Arcanine, Wobbuffet says its name. At the same time the standard "Poké Ball opening" sound effect is heard - however, at this point Wobbuffet had already been outside of its ball for some time.
- When Team Rocket gets blasted away, Arbok disappears.
- The blurb for this episode incorrectly identifies Mahogany Town as Mahogany City.
- In the last few minutes of this episode, Gary is shown standing in mid air.
- When Gary walks off in the final scene, the ground changes from grass to dirt.
- When Team Rocket captures Arcanine, parts of the net are missing.
In other languages