From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Trouble's Brewing
The Five Sisters of Eievui! Battle at the Tea Convention!!
|| February 1, 2001
| United States
|| December 8, 2001
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
Trouble's Brewing (Japanese: イーブイ５しまい！おちゃかいでバトル！！ The Five Sisters of Eievui! Battle at the Tea Convention!!) is the 183rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on February 1, 2001 and in the United States on December 8, 2001.
Enjoying a quick snack at a local cafe, Misty notices a poster featuring a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. As she tells Ash and Brock she's always wanted to attend one, a young Trainer named Sakura walks in. Misty asks Sakura about the poster and Sakura explains her three sisters run the theme park. As Sakura leads Ash, Misty and Brock on a tour of the theme park, she decides she would like to accompany our friends on their Johto Journey. Her sisters say she can go if our heroes can beat them in a Pokémon battle. Will Sakura get to fulfill her dream of becoming a Pokémon Master?
After winning the Fog Badge, Ash, Misty, Brock, Pikachu and Togepi are taking a snack break in Ecruteak City. They decide to head to the tea-ceremony when Misty finds a lost Eevee. Just then a girl comes up, happy that her Eevee has been found. The girl introduces herself as Sakura and tells them that she and her sisters are the ones who are holding the tea ceremony.
As they enter the tea ceremony, they met four Kimono girls around the area. Brock then starts flirting with all of the Kimono girls. Just as they were having tea with one of the Kimono girls, Sakura came along telling them that this is her sister, Satsuki and introduce the rest of the Kimono girls, Sumomo, Tamao and Koume, much to Brock's dismay as they notice Brock who compliments all four of them. Sumomo asks the gang if they have heard of the four beautiful Tea Ceremony Sisters. Sakura isn't happy to hear this, but Koume tells Sakura she is a sister, but she isn't beautiful. The gang just realized that Sakura has the same problem as Misty's both of them are the youngest and their sisters focus on themselves. This leads to Sakura making friends with Misty.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket were also there at the tea-ceremony but prefers a faster pace rather than the slow and traditional way. Due to their rudeness, the gang with Sakura and her sisters came to look at the commotion and Sakura wants them out of here. Jessie summons out her Arbok while Sakura and her sisters summon out their Eevee, Flareon, Umbreon, Vaporeon and Jolteon. Happily, Team Rocket decides to steal them.
During the battle, Eevee is badly injured by Arbok. Misty and Ash send out their Poliwhirl and Totodile, while James uses his Weezing. Both Pokémon defeat Weezing and send Team Rocket blasting off.
Later, Misty and Sakura are discussing about their sisters, Misty's travels with Ash, Brock and Pikachu and their dreams. Sakura then ask her a favor whether if she can join along with Misty and her friends. Misty gladly accepts. As they met up with Ash, Brock and Pikachu, Misty tells them about Sakura joining their group and they too agree. So after Sakura and her sisters' dance performance, Sakura tells her about her plans of following Misty and her friends. Her sisters would let her go but only if Misty and her friends defeat them in a Pokémon battle. They gladly accept the match.
Outside, Satsuki announce three matches of one on one Pokémon battles. The first match is Sumomo's Vaporeon vs Misty's Poliwhirl. Both of them are evenly matched during their battle until Vaporeon uses Aurora Beam, knocking out Poliwhirl for the win. Just as Jolteon and Pikachu begin their match, Team Rocket makes a comeback to steal their Pokémon again, this time with a specific cage for the Kimono girls. Sakura's Eevee battles out James's Victreebel but again Eevee loses and is put in the cage. Next, Ash sends Chikorita to battle Victreebel, while Misty sends out Staryu to battle Arbok. Staryu uses its Tackle attack onto Arbok, making an impact onto James and locking him up in the cage. It does it again towards Arbok, making it trapped in the cage. Chikorita uses Vine Whip towards Victreebel, tossing it towards Jessie and trapping both of them in one cage. Meowth, who got scared to fight with both Staryu and Chikorita, traps himself in the cage. Tamao uses her Umbreon's Agility to save Eevee. Both Misty and Sumomo's Staryu and Vaporeon use Water Gun to spray the trapped Team Rocket and their balloon, sending them blasting off again while Sakura becomes awed by their skills.
Resuming the battle between Jolteon and Pikachu, Pikachu has the upper hand and manage to finish Jolteon with its Thunder attack. Both of them are tied. Just as Tamao is about to battle, Sakura changes her mind and decides that she will stay. She tells them that she is not yet ready to go on a journey. She also tells Ash and the others that she feels she would be a burden, and will travel alone. Satsuki tells her that she's getting stronger as she finally understand that she should rely on her own rather than relying on others.
After saying goodbye, Ash and the others continue onwards to Olivine City.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Chikorita (U.S. and international), Eevee (Japan)
- The Kimono Sisters are characters in Ecruteak City in Pokémon Gold and Silver. However, the dub keeps their Japanese names rather than using the names in the English games.
- Three of the Kimono Sisters use special Apricorn Poké Balls. Sumomo's Vaporeon comes out of a Lure Ball, Satsuki's Jolteon comes out of a Moon Ball, and Tamao's Umbreon comes out of a Fast Ball.
- Their kimonos are also inspired by patterns of Apricorn Poké Balls they use. Koume's kimono is based on a Love Ball.
- Misty pulls Brock's nose instead of ear in this episode.
- In the opening of the episode, Ash, Misty, Brock and Pikachu are seen eating dango, a rice dumpling that is popular in Japan.
- This episode is featured on Volume 6: Eevee from Viz Media's Pokémon All-Stars series.
- This is the last season 4 episode to air in Finland, the next episode that was dubbed in Finnish was Address Unown!, about 80 episodes later.
Pikachu's miscolored tail
- When the Kimono Girls send out their Pokémon, James and Meowth mentions that the complete set of Eevee evolutions are there, however Espeon is missing.
- When Ash sends out Totodile to battle Team Rocket, he sends it out of a normal Poké Ball instead of a Lure Ball.
- When Ash, Brock and Misty say farewell to Sakura, Pikachu's tail is momentarily a dark shade of brown rather than yellow.
- When Team Rocket blasts off, Wobbuffet can be heard, though it was never sent out.
- Pikachu, Poliwhirl and Victreebel use Tackle in this episode, even though they can't learn this move in the games.
- The first attack that Satsuki's Jolteon used against Pikachu in the dub was Thunder Wave. In the original Japanese version, it was Zap Cannon.
- In the Latin American dub, after meeting Tamao, Brock sings the famous song "Vivir sin tí", written by the Mexican musician Marco Antonio Solís.
- The original airing of this episode on Hungama TV in India started the episode directly from the title card, skipping the part of the episode that comes before it.
In other languages