| For Crying Out Loud
|| January 27, 2000
| United States
|| January 20, 2001
|| Team Ota
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 岩根雅明 Masaaki Iwane
| Additional credits
For Crying Out Loud (Japanese: なきむしマリル！ Crybaby Maril!) is the 132nd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on January 27, 2000 and in the United States on January 20, 2001.
Cute and cuddly is one thing, but a bawling Marill is too much even for Misty. When all Misty's attempts to toughen up the picayune Pokémon fall short, Team Rocket takes her by surprise. Misty is left with no help or hope in sight, save for little Marill.
Ash is looking forward to battle in the next Gym, which is the Azalea Gym in Azalea Town. As Misty spots large houses and comments how beautiful the place is, Brock gets excited because whenever there is a beautiful place, he can find many beautiful girls. Misty asks why he thinks that and Brock points out to a girl standing on the edge of a cliff. As soon as Marill appears, Misty, who just loves Water-type Pokémon, attempts to capture it. But the Poké Ball simply hits Marill on the head, causing it to cry out loud. Brock quickly comforts the Marill. Ash points out that Marill must already have a Trainer because of the pink bow tied on its tail. Misty tries to hold it, but Marill doesn't seem to like Misty and cries again.
Jessie, James and Meowth make their appearance, disguised as farmers, and they offer the group a lift. Unaware of the plot, they hop on the vehicle. Just then, two hands grab hold of Pikachu and Marill and make their escape after getting rid of Ash, Misty, and Brock. Marill lets out an ear-splitting cry, making Meowth lose his control over his driving. The truck eventually crashes into a railing and Team Rocket blasts off into the air once again. Pikachu and Marill ends up rolling down the hill towards the riverside. Ash tries to go after them and ends up landing into a tree. On the other hand, Misty continues down the hill and successfully grabs the two Pokémon. Unfortunately, she couldn't stop and falls into the river.
The girl they were gazing at before meets up with Ash and Brock, and asks them about her Marill. Brock, who goes gaga for beautiful girls, introduces himself to her and learns that her name is Wilhelmina.
Misty, Pikachu and Marill survive the river, but Marill begins to cry again. With her temper getting the best of her, Misty yells at Marill, making it more upset. Marill then runs off, leaving her pink ribbon behind. Misty tries to hold Marill, but the blue mouse simply refuses to be with her. After calming down a bit, Misty suggests to find Marill's Trainer by using its sensitive ears. During the search, Misty gets impatient with Marill and the Water-type cries.
Ash has full confidence that Misty will take care of Marill. But Wilhelmina is still worried about her Pokémon and blames herself for its disappearance. Brock starts comforting her. Afterward, Togepi spots Marill's pink ribbon. Meanwhile, the other group gets in trouble with a bunch of Beedrill. Ash, Brock, and Wilhelmina hears Pikachu screaming and runs towards the sound. However, they miss Misty, Pikachu, and Marill.
The situation becomes more critical as Misty, Pikachu, and Marill reach a dead-end. Thinking quickly, Misty tells Pikachu to use ThunderShock. The ThunderShock manages to scare off the swarm of Beedrill. Just when things seem okay for them, rain begins to fall. Misty and the two Pokémon find shelter under some trees. As the lightning starts scaring Marill, Misty tries to console it. And when the lightning strikes a tree which is about to hit Marill, Misty goes out of her way to save it.
Team Rocket make their appearance again after the rain stopped and grabs the two Pokémon. Misty manages to grab hold of Marill, but ends up falling. However, Ash's Chikorita saves them in the nick of time. Jessie and James battle against Ash and Misty with Arbok and Weezing. Arbok's Poison Sting attack almost hits Misty, but Marill uses Water Gun to save her. After that, Pikachu blows Team Rocket away with Thunderbolt.
During the ending, Misty is nearly in tears as she waves goodbye to Marill.
- This is the second episode in which Pikachu imitates other characters in the anime.
- Those characters are Ash, Brock, Togepi, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charizard.
- Interestingly enough, of Ash's current party of Pokémon, Pikachu only imitates those caught in Kanto.
- This is the first episode in which it is explicitly stated that a Poké Ball will not work on a Pokémon that is already under another trainer's ownership.
- James at one point uses the phrase featured in the episode's title.
- When Misty, Marill, and Pikachu are caught in the storm, the theme Surviving the Storm from the score of Mewtwo Strikes Back is played.
- A jingle from the same movie is also played when Togepi finds Marill's ribbon.
- This is the first English episode of the 21st century.
- This episode is featured on the Volume 3: Water copy of Pokémon Elements.
- There is a repeating scene (seen in the trees) when James says "Yeah, how do you like the sound of them apples..."
- When Beedrill appear, they can be heard saying their Japanese name, Spear.
- In the scene where Misty, Pikachu and Marill are hiding inside of the tree, Misty's shirt appears white and her straps are black. They remain this way until Team Rocket attacks her on the bridge. (This is most likely due to lighting effects from the storm as her shirt is seen to have a little color still.)
- When Team Rocket send out Arbok and Weezing, an extra Poké Ball sound effect plays as they throw the Poké Balls, before the sound effect accompanying the Pokémon actually appearing is heard.
In other languages