From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Clefairy Tales
|| September 10, 1998
| United States
|| September 25, 1999
|| Team Ota
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 鈴木敏明 Toshiaki Suzuki
| Assistant director
|| 鈴木敏明 Toshiaki Suzuki
| Animation director
|| 志村泉 Izumi Shimura
| Additional credits
Clefairy Tales (Japanese: ピッピＶＳプリン Pippi VS Purin) is the 62nd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on September 10, 1998 and in the United States on September 25, 1999.
Ash, Brock and Misty get sidetracked on their way to Viridian City when all of their belongings mysteriously disappear. While searching for their missing things, the group find themselves mixed up in a close encounter that's really out of this world!
Jigglypuff sings its song in the woods, putting a Pidgey and a Caterpie to sleep. After scribbling on their faces, it sees a UFO land. Jigglypuff walks over to it to see some Clefairy get out.
Ash, Misty, Brock, Pikachu, and Togepi are eating ice cream when a Clefairy walks up to them. They chase Clefairy, but while they are gone, more Clefairy steal their ice cream and backpacks. When Ash and his friends go to Officer Jenny, they discover that many others have been robbed as well. A man named Oswald believes this to be the work of aliens.
While searching for the aliens, they see a UFO land in front of them. Two aliens come out and abduct Pikachu, but they are really Jessie and James in disguise. They put Pikachu in a glass container that absorbs electricity into a lightbulb. The UFO is really being operated by Meowth, using a crane. Ash summons his Pidgeotto, which brings down the UFO. Before the battle with Team Rocket can continue, Clefairy appears, and Oswald's scanner says that it is an alien. It says the same thing about Jigglypuff when it shows up. When the scanner says Misty is an alien (although it might really be reacting to Togepi), she knocks it out of his hand, breaking it. Oswald then says "You broke my scanner! It took me weeks to ensemble that scanner! What if I can't find the comic book I ordered it from?"
A Clefairy grabs Pikachu and runs off with him, still trapped in his shockproof container. Ash, Misty, Brock, Oswald, Togepi, and Jigglypuff chase after it and go down a hole into an underground cave. There they see the Clefairy have been using their stolen items to build a spaceship attached to a rocket, and they plan to use Pikachu's electricity to power it and make it blast off. Ash, Misty, Oswald, Togepi, and Jigglypuff enter while Brock goes back to tell Officer Jenny. Team Rocket also enters, intending to steal Pikachu and all the Clefairy.
Inside the ship, Jigglypuff defeats all the Clefairy except for the leader, in the cockpit, where Oswald tries to pull a lever, but it breaks off. It turns out to be Jigglypuff's microphone/marker, which Jigglypuff takes and then sings its song, putting everyone inside the ship to sleep. The ship is timed to take off, and does. The stolen items are all lost during takeoff, and are returned to their rightful owners. The rocket, with Team Rocket still aboard, detaches from the ship and falls. Ash finds Pikachu, whose electric attacks are too powerful for his prison, shattering the glass. Ash, Misty, Pikachu, and Togepi escape from the ship, using Ash's Bulbasaur's Vine Whip to grab onto a skyscraper as the ship goes into space.
Later, the Clefairy's UFO returns and lands in a small village, where Oswald gets out, inside cardboard box with a helmet, as he believes himself to be on the Clefairy's home planet. The Clefairy come out, and take more items from the inhabitants.
Ash and his friends continue their Pokémon journey, unaware that Jigglypuff is following them.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Arcanine (US and international), Clefairy (leader) (Japan)
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Lecture: Raichu
- Pokémon senryū summary: A Raichu, one per household; private power generator.
- The group of Clefairy from this episode later reappear in Wish Upon a Star Shape.
- The episode's title is derived from "fairy tales".
- This episode title is almost identical to that of a chapter in The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga, Clefairy Tale, which is partially based on this episode.
- Team Rocket, disguised as aliens, mutter something that is heard as "nomékop," which is the word "Pokémon" said backwards.
- A Clefairy recites its name in the end of Team Rocket's motto instead of Meowth.
- When the Clefairy spaceship takes off and various items fall off of it, a chef catches his kettle and talks about cooking chicken.
- The box for the VHS release of this episode has Oswald's name as "Orville".
- When the gang falls out of the rocket ship on to the skyscraper, they don't have Brock's backpack, but later he is seen wearing it.
- After Oswald identifies Jigglypuff as an alien, his scanner continues to beep, but the lights are no longer flashing.
- The timer in the launch cavern marks the minutes in yellow and the seconds in red. However, when the timer is shown right before the countdown ends, the colors are reversed: the minutes in red and the seconds in yellow.
In other languages