From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Battle Aboard the St. Anne
Battle on the St. Annu!
|| July 8, 1997
| United States
|| September 7, 1998*|
September 27, 1998*
|| Team Ota
|| 大橋志吉 Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Assistant director
|| 浅田裕二 Yūji Asada
| Animation director
|| 玉川明洋 Akihiro Tamagawa
| Additional credits
Battle Aboard the St. Anne (Japanese: サントアンヌごうのたたかい！ Battle on the St. Annu!) is the 15th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 8, 1997. It aired in the United States as the first dubbed episode on September 7, 1998, and later aired in-sequence on September 27, 1998.
Ash and his friends board a fancy cruise ship called the St. Anne, thanks to tickets provided by two friendly but familiar-looking people. We soon learn that they're actually Jessie and James in disguise, and their latest plan is to lure Pokémon Trainers onto the ship and steal their Pokémon!
While onboard, Ash observes a Raticate defeating a Starmie. Ash challenges the Raticate with his Butterfree. Though the Raticate's owner removes his Pokémon before the battle ends, he's impressed with Ash's Butterfree and offers a trade. Ash trades his Butterfree for the Raticate, but soon regrets his decision. Meanwhile, James is tricked into buying a Magikarp.
While all the Trainers are gathered in a room, the ship's employees reveal themselves to be members of Team Rocket! As they suck up Poké Balls with vacuum-like devices, the Trainers fight back; their Pokémon team up to multiply their attacks and drive back the bad guys.
During all the commotion, a tumultuous storm brews outside. Eventually, the ship rocks violently, and the consensus is to abandon ship. Only Jessie, James, Meowth, and Ash and his friends are unable to flee, as they are knocked unconscious by the jerking movements of the ship—then the ship flips over and sinks!
What will become of our heroes? Will they have to join forces with Team Rocket to escape? And how successful could such a partnership be?
After earning the Thunder Badge, Ash and his friends walk across a bridge and spot a luxury liner in the distance. The group take a closer look at the ship and they want to get on board, but Brock mentions that they cannot afford it, so they walk away sullen. However, Jessie and James, in disguise as ganguro girls, give them tickets to get on board to participate in a Pokémon Trainer party on board the St. Anne. While Ash and his friends look for the luxury liner, Jessie and James head to a nearby lighthouse to meet up with Meowth. Meowth opens up a call with the boss and Meowth notices a Persian hugging up to the boss; it has replaced Meowth due to the group’s constant failure. Team Rocket reveal their plan: the party is a ruse to allow Team Rocket to steal the attending Trainers' Pokémon.
Ash and his friends board the ship and head into the main ballroom, noticing all the people, Pokémon, and merchandise. Ash notices a battle between a Starmie and a Raticate. Raticate uses Super Fang to break Starmie's jewel, giving Raticate the win. Ash decides to step forward to challenge the Raticate’s Trainer, sending Butterfree out. Raticate attacks with Jump Kick, but Butterfree counters with Tackle. Raticate uses Hyper Fang, but Butterfree uses Stun Spore to paralyze it. Ash prepares to finish the duel, but the Gentleman recalls his Raticate and declares it a draw, even though Ash was actually winning. Meanwhile, James walks by the vendors. A salesman calls him over and convinces him to buy a Magikarp, tricking him into thinking that the Pokémon is worth a lot of money.
The ship sails out of Vermilion City as Ash and his friends chow down. The Gentleman comes up to Ash and commends his Butterfree. He proposes a trade between his Raticate and Ash's Butterfree. Ash asks Brock if he should go through with it, but Brock is too attracted to the woman next to him to respond, so Ash agrees to go ahead with the trade. They go to a trade machine and execute the trade; Ash acquires Raticate while the man gets Butterfree. Meanwhile, Jessie and Meowth are extremely displeased at James's being conned into buying a worthless Pokémon such as Magikarp. Misty finds Ash looking out at sea, having second thoughts about the trade, and unsure if Butterfree will be well taken care of. He mentions that, as the trade was happening, he remembered the experiences he had shared with Butterfree.
Team Rocket's plan goes into motion, the ballroom being locked down and Team Rocket Grunts confronting the Trainers. The grunts use vacuums to capture the Trainers' Poké Balls. When one of the grunts walks up to Ash and demands his Pokémon, Ash orders Pikachu to attack the thugs with ThunderShock. He spurs the other Trainers to fight back, and everyone sends out their Pokémon. Ash’s Pikachu, Charmander, and Bulbasaur, together with Brock's Geodude, join the other Pokémon in stopping the Team Rocket thugs. Ash notices a Butterfree swarm attacking with Stun Spore and decides to summon his Butterfree. However, the Poké Ball reveals his Raticate as Misty reminds him that he traded Butterfree away. As he watches, Ash deeply misses his Butterfree, remembering his experiences with it and wanting it back.
Ash sends out Pidgeotto to join others in a group Gust attack. Pikachu group uses Thunderbolt to send Team Rocket flying off the ship and foiling the attack. However, during the battle the ship has sailed directly into a storm. Strong waves begin to batter the ship. James drops the Poké Ball holding Magikarp, and runs after it. Meanwhile, Ash finds the Gentleman, and requests that the trade be reversed. The man agrees, and they begin to execute a reverse trade. The captain tries to calm the passengers, assuring them that the ship is unsinkable, but, after another wave crashes against the ship, he goes down in a lifeboat. The passengers quickly begin scrambling onto the other lifeboats to evacuate. Misty and Brock find Ash finishing the trade. Ash grabs his Poké Ball, but another wave causes him to drop it. Ash runs after it as his friends follow.
By this time, most of the passengers have gotten safely off the ship. As Ash grabs Butterfree’s Poké Ball, the ship rocks again, throwing him and his friends into another room, and knocking them out. Likewise, just as James grabs Magikarp’s Poké Ball, another wave sends Team Rocket flying against a wall; they too are knocked unconscious. The ship capsizes, and goes down. The captain, watching from his life boat, assumes that everyone is safe, not realizing that Ash, his friends, and Team Rocket are still on board.
Ash's Butterfree being traded for Raticate
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Raticate
Pokémon seen aboard St. Anne
- When the episode aired as a sneak peek, it was not shown everywhere, as some areas ran the annual Labor Day Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon instead.
- The St. Anne retains its Japanese name in the anime, despite being called the S.S. Anne in the games. This is probably due to the number of paint edits required to make the change, but actually prevents a future dub error when Ritchie is on a ship called the S.S. Anne in The Search for the Legend.
- This is the first episode in which Ash is seen making a Pokémon trade.
- The button the Gentleman pressed to start the trade was a "record" button. There were also play, fast forward, and pause buttons.
- This is the first episode in which Team Rocket members besides Jessie, James, and Meowth appear.
- While there wasn't an attack by Team Rocket on the ship in the games, an undercover Global Police officer mentions he is on the trail of Team Rocket, hinting that there may be an attack.
- The scene where all the Pikachu are jumping over a wall to battle the Team Rocket soldiers is identical to the scene in Pokémon Emergency! where the Pikachu are jumping over a wall in the Pokémon Center to battle Team Rocket.
- The captain calling the St. Anne unsinkable and then sinking is an obvious reference to the RMS Titanic. Indeed, in the next episode's recap, the narrator acknowledges this by exclaiming "Holy Titanic!".
- The book Island of the Giant Pokémon is partially based on this episode.
- While not in the episode itself, the preview for this episode from the previous episode had Ash directly referring to Giovanni by name, the only instance where one of the protagonists ever used his name.
- During the battle between the Gentleman's Raticate and an unnamed Trainer's Starmie, the unnamed Trainer tells his Starmie to use an attack called "Spinning Tackle", an attack similar to Rapid Spin, a move that can be considered a spinning tackle. However, Rapid Spin wasn't introduced until Generation II.
- Raticate uses Jump Kick in this episode, a move that can't be learned by Raticate in the games.
- In the scene where James is walking by the Magikarp salesman, the booth to the left of the Magikarp salesman's booth has a pyramid of normal colored Poké Balls on it. Later, in a scene where James is talking to the Magikarp salesman, the pyramid of Poké Balls is now gold.
- In the Italian and Hindi dub, Giovanni's Persian is referred as a persian cat.
- In the original version, Ash calls the man to whom he trades his Butterfree a "gentleman" and thus is acknowledged as one on Bulbapedia.
- The scene with Giovanni talking with Jessie, James and Meowth was used in the VHS A Sneak Peek at Pokémon with alternate dialogue. Rather than discussing their plan, Giovanni tells them, that they need to capture Ash's Pikachu before various Pokémon merchandise such as the anime, manga, video games, trading cards and figures, hits the stores or else they'll probably be found out.
In other languages
|| معركه على ظهر السفينه
| Mandarin Chinese
|| 聖安奴號之戰 / 圣安奴号之战
|| Bitva na palubě Svaté Anny
|| Dysten På St. Anne
|| Gevecht aan Boord van de St. Anne
|| Kieroa peliä valtamerilaivalla!
|| Bataille à bord du Sainte Anne
|| Bataille à bord du St. Anne|
Bataille à bord du Sainte Anne*
|| An Bord der M.S. Anne
|| הקרב על הסיפון hakrav al hasipun
|| St. Anne पर जंग! St. Anne par jung! * |
St. Anne जहाज पर मुकाबला! St. Anne jaahaaz par muqabla! *
|| Harc a Szent Anna fedélzetén
|| Un'insolita crociera* |
Battaglia sulla Santa Anna*
|| 로켓단 두목 비주기 lokesdan dumog bijugi
|| Kampen ombord på St. Anne
|| Bitwa na pokładzie Świętej Anny
|| Batalha a Bordo do St. Anne
|| Batalha a Bordo do Santa Ana
|| Bătălie la Bordul St. Anne
|| Бой на борту Святой Анны
|| Битка на броду Света Ана
|| Latin America
|| ¡Duelo a bordo del Santa Anna!
|| Combate a bordo del St. Anne
|| Slaget på Saint Anne
|| Chuyến đi thú vị trên con tàu Anne