| Drifloon On the Wind!
Fuwante and the Messenger of the North Wind!
|| April 12, 2007
| United States
|| September 15, 2007
|| Team Iguchi
|| 米村正二 Shōji Yonemura
|| 日高政光 Masamitsu Hidaka
| Assistant director
|| 宮原秀二 Shūji Miyahara
| Animation director
|| たけだゆうさく Yūsaku Takeda
| Additional credits
Drifloon On the Wind! (Japanese: フワンテと北風の使い！ Fuwante and the Messenger of the North Wind!) is the 28th episode of the Diamond & Pearl series and the 494th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on April 12, 2007 as part of a one-hour special with The Champ Twins!, and in the United States on September 15, 2007.
On the way to Eterna City, our heroes visit a Pokémon Center where they meet young Paige and her big sister Marnie, the daughters of the local Nurse Joy! Ash and his pals get their first good look at Drifloon—Marnie has three, which she uses to help her deliver lunch to her father while Paige takes the gang to meet Pokémon in the surrounding forest. Paige also reveals she and Marnie have a secret friend, none other than the legendary Suicune!
Marnie's father and his Ampharos are working at the Valley Windworks Power Plant. Team Rocket tries to steal Ampharos, only to be shocked by Ampharos's Thunder. But the resulting explosion damages the Windworks, and when the lights go out at the Pokémon Center, Nurse Joy sets out for the Windworks to see what's wrong. Paige wants to take her Drifloon and follow; Pikachu tries to stop her, but a gust sweeps all three of them away!
Ash and his friends race to the Windworks to try and intercept them, except a looming storm blows Paige and Pikachu way off course. Ash finds them with the help of Marnie's Drifloon, but they're stuck up among the rocks and there's no way the others can reach them on foot any time soon. Marnie is determined to save her sister no matter what, so she asks Suicune to appear and help her. Suicune responds and quickly takes her to Ash and Paige, then brings everyone back to safety. With Nurse Joy's family reunited and the Windworks Power Plant fixed, our heroes can call it a day!
|| This plot summary is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this plot summary to add missing sections and complete it.
and his friends
finally arrive at Valley Windworks
. They find the Pokémon Center and go inside, but nobody appears to be there at first sight. After some commotion, they meet Nurse Joy
, as well as two younger Joys
and their group of Drifloon
. After getting to know the family, Nurse Joy realizes her husband has forgotten her lunch. Marnie uses the Drifloon to Fly
to the generator where her father works in order to bring his lunch to him. Paige is upset that she doesn't get to go along as well, so Nurse Joy has Ash and her give the forest Pokémon treats.
While they are walking through the forest, Paige tells Ash that she has another Pokémon friend, but Marnie told Paige not to say the name of it to others. Paige realizes that she won't get in trouble if she shows Ash her friend, so she takes Ash to go see them. Paige leads Ash over to a lake and calls out for her friend, but gets no response. Ash asks what type of Pokémon it is, and she informs him that it is a Suicune. Ash is surprised, as it is a legendary Pokémon. Paige insists that it is true.
Meanwhile, Marnie arrives at the power plant. Marnie's father is seen fixing something there with the assistance of his Ampharos. At the same time, Team Rocket is shown looking through the bushes at the two of them. Meowth convinces the other two to try and steal the Ampharos. Marnie's father is warning her that a storm is coming when suddenly Team Rocket snatches Ampharos in a net and recite their motto. Marnie's father orders Ampharos to use Thunder, which sends Team Rocket blasting off. However, the explosion from the blast damaged the power lines.
Back at the Pokémon Center, Nurse Joy is talking to Ash when suddenly the power goes out. Nurse Joy suspects that something happened at the power plant, and decides to go check it out. She tells Paige that she can't come, and Paige runs outside to go to the power plant. Pikachu attempts to hold her down as she tries to fly off with a Drifloon, but the winds in the storm are so strong that both Pikachu and Paige are blown away.
At the power plant, the Joys have fixed the power plant. Ash and friends ask them if they saw Paige, but they hadn't. Ash grabs Marnie's Drifloon and flies off in search of her. Meanwhile, using Paige's and Marnie's father's car, the rest of the gang goes out looking for Paige and Ash. Unfortunately, a boulder is blocking the road and they can no longer continue. Marnie then rushes home to get help from their friend, Suicune.
Meanwhile, Ash has found Paige. They shelter in a small cave. The two of them decide to try to get home after the storm ends. As Ash and Paige cross a log (used as a bridge) they fall. Marnie appears with Suicune and saves the two. In the end, the family is reunited. Dawn and Brock want to know about Suicune, but it has already left. As they leave, Ash and Marnie exchange a knowing glance while Suicune watches them from the peak of a cliff.
Exhausted and disappointed due to their previous loss, the Team Rocket trio spots a Suicune near the cliff and makes a vain attempt to catch it. But in the blink of an eye, the legendary Pokémon blasts them off with its Aurora Beam.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
- Professor Oak's lecture: Poffin
- Pokémon senryū: かきまぜろ こがさずこぼさず ポフィンづくり kakimazero, kogasazu kobosazu, pofin zukuri "Stir it, without burning or spilling: Poffin-making."
- In EP077's Professor Oak's lecture, Professor Oak expressed interest in knowing what children of a Nurse Joy would look like.
- It was revealed that "Joy" is the nurse's family rather than given name. Marnie's full name is Marnie Frances Lynnette Joy (Sayaka François Joy in Japan), and Paige's full name is Paige Frances Lynnelle Joy (Mai François Joy in Japan). The same may also apply to Officer Jenny, as a young Officer Jenny by the name of Marble would later appear in Luxray Vision!.
- Pocket-ering Monster-ing and music from Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and Destiny Deoxys are used as background music.
- The episode contains many references to the plot and characters of My Neighbor Totoro, with Marnie and Paige being analogues of the movie's protagonists, Satsuki and Mei.
- Nurse Joys are revealed to keep their surname in marriage.
- The name of Paige and Marnie's father is never mentioned in the dubbed version of the episode. The only references to Karsten's name occur in the closed captioning.
- This is one of the few episodes of the Diamond & Pearl series where Dawn's Piplup does not appear.
- In the Japanese version, the opening scene shows Ash, Brock and Dawn deciding to head to the nearby Pokémon Center. For unknown reasons, when the episode premiered in America this was replaced by a scene from later in the episode of Paige and the Drifloon getting carried away by the wind. The original opening scene was moved till after the theme song. This is the second cold opening produced by Pokémon USA, after Leave It to Brocko!.
- There was no background music in the original opening in the dub version.
In other languages