- This article is about the Pokémon Researcher. For the English voice actors, see Bill Rogers, Billy Regan or Billy Beach.
ソネザキマサキ Masaki Sonezaki
Art from FireRed and LeafGreen
|Eye color||Brown*, Black*|
|Hair color||Brown*, Green*|
|Relatives||Mother, Sister, Grandpa|
|Trainer class||Poké Maniac, Storage System developer|
|Generation||I, II, III, IV|
|Games||Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold, SoulSilver|
|Anime debut||Mystery at the Lighthouse|
|English voice actor||Adam Blaustein|
|Japanese voice actor||Masaya Onosaka|
Bill (Japanese: ソネザキマサキ Masaki Sonezaki) is a Pokémon Researcher, widely regarded as an expert in many fields. He has made many appearances in the games. Bill is most commonly found in his Sea Cottage, which is north of Cerulean City at the end of Route 25. He is most notable for his first appearance in the Generation I games and for his Pokémon Storage System that has been pertinent in the entire main series.
In the games
Bill is a talented and famous inventor, who invented the original Pokémon Storage System and Time Capsule. People, including himself, call him a PokéManiac because of his large collection of both common and rare Pokémon. The first one he caught was an Abra; however, his favorite Pokémon are Eevee and its evolutions. Bill also gives a free Eevee to Ethan, KrisC, or LyraHGSS in Generation II and its remakes, and another one to Bebe in Generation IV, which is later given to Lucas/Dawn.
Bill also has several friends that share his interests in computer technology. One of them is Celio, his old friend from One Island in the Sevii Islands. He is also close with Lanette and Bebe, the storage system developers of Hoenn and Sinnoh, respectively. He is stated to have requested Cassius control the Storage System of Kalos in Generation VI.
Bill also has some fans, like PokéManiac Brent of Generation II who calls the player with information about him. Most of his calls are trivia about Bill himself and his family, such as the fact that Bill's mother used to be a Kimono Girl and that Bill's younger sister can't wink. He also mentions that Bill might have a crush on the flower girl in Goldenrod City. Brent also revealed the fact that Bill is lactose-intolerant, which was also stated by Celio in Generation III.
Bill has been shown to have a large family. His adult sister and grandfather live in Fuchsia City. In Generation II, his grandfather watches over Bill's cottage on Route 25 while he is visiting the rest of his family in Goldenrod City.
In the Japanese versions of the games, Bill speaks in Kansai dialect like most Goldenrod City natives.
In Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow, Bill can be found at the Sea Cottage on the Cerulean Cape, initially performing an experiment on Pokémon teleportation. However, Bill accidentally becomes combined with the body of a Pokémon and requires the player's help to fix the problem. In Pokémon Yellow, the player's Pikachu will be confused by the whole ordeal, and shocked upon seeing Bill return back to his original form. After things are back in order, he speaks about his Pokémon Storage System and what was formerly on the PC menu as "Someone's PC" will change to "Bill's PC." He will also give away an S.S. Ticket so that the player can board the S.S. Anne. He gives the player the ticket as a gift for changing him back into a human, and also claims that the rich crowd of the S.S. Anne isn't his type. If the player exits Bill's house and goes back in, they can check his computer for information on Eevee and its three stone evolutions, his favorite Pokémon.
- "Hiya! I'm a Pokémon... ...No I'm not! Call me Bill! I'm a true blue Pokémaniac! Hey! What's with that skeptical look? I'm not joshing you, I screwed up an experiment and got combined with a Pokémon! So, how about it? Help me out there!"
- "No!? Come on, you gotta help a guy in deep trouble! What do you say, chief? Please? OK? All right! When I'm in the Teleporter, go to my PC and run the Cell Separation System!"
- After helping him
- "Yeehah! Thanks, bud! I owe you one! So, did you come to see my Pokémon collection? You didn't? That's a bummer. I've got to thank you... Oh here, maybe this'll do. That cruise ship, S.S.Anne, is in Vermilion City. Its passengers are all trainers! They invited me to their party, but I can't stand fancy do's. Why don't you go instead of me?"
- After returning to his house
- "Look, bud, just check out some of my rare Pokémon on my PC!"
In Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, Bill is visiting his family in Goldenrod City. After he gets the Time Capsule up and running in Ecruteak City, players can visit him at his parents' house in Goldenrod and receive an Eevee. His sister will give the player Bill's number so they can check the storage system.
- "Hi, I'm Bill. And who are you? Hmm. <player>, huh? You've come at the right time. I just finished adjustments on my Time Capsule. You know that Pokémon can be traded, right? My Time Capsule was developed to enable trades with the past. But you can't send anything that didn't exist in the past. If you did, the PC in the past would have a breakdown. So you have to remove anything that wasn't around in the past. Put simply, no sending new moves or new Pokémon in the Time Capsule. Don't you worry. I'm done with the adjustments. Tomorrow, Time Capsules will be running at all Pokémon Centers. I have to hurry on back to Goldenrod and see my folks. Buh-bye!"
- After talking to him at the Ecruteak City Pokémon Center
- "Hi, <player>! Do us a favor and take this Eevee. It came over when I was adjusting the Time Capsule. Someone has to take care of it, but I don't like being outside. Can I count on you to play with it, <player>?
- "I knew it! Way to go, hero! You're the real deal, dude! OK, I'm counting on you. Take good care of it.
- "Oh... Now what to do?
- If the player is carrying six Pokémon
- "Whoa, wait. you can't carry any more Pokémon.
- After receiving Eevee
- "Prof. Elm claims Eevee may evolve in new and unknown ways"
- Subsequent visits
- "I used to experiment with a Teleporter. I ought to do a follow-up."GS
- "My pop, he won't work. All he does is goof off all day long. He's getting to be a real headache..."C
- When called
- "Good morning!/Good day!/Good evening! This is the Pokémon Storage System Administration Service. Who's calling? <player>, is it? Hang on a sec... ...... ...... Thanks for waiting!"
- If box has less than 15 Pokémon
- "<player>, your Box has room for <number> more Pokémon. Get out there and fill it up!"
- If box has at least 15 Pokémon
- "<player>, your Box has room for only <number> more Pokémon. Maybe you should switch your BOX."
- If box is full
- "<player>, your Box is full! You'll have to switch Boxes if you want to catch more Pokémon."
- When player fills up a box (automatic call)
- "Hi, <player>? It's me, Bill! Thanks for using my Storage System. That last Pokémon you sent filled your Box up. You'll have to switch Boxes if you want to catch more Pokémon. Bye now!"
While visiting Lanette in Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire, players can check one of her computers to find an E-mail from Bill. The English translation of the e-mail in Generation III makes it seem as if Bill is crediting Lanette for upgrading his system, whereas the Japanese text and the English text in Generation VI clearly establishes that he and Lanette are co-developers of the original system.
|Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald||Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire|
"... ... ... ... ... ... ...
In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Versions, Bill is in the same area as in the original games. However, he also appears on Cinnabar Island asking for help in the Sevii Islands shortly after Blaine is defeated. While on One Island, he introduces the player to Celio.
- "Hiya! I'm a Pokémon... ...No I'm not! Call me Bill! I'm a true-blue Pokémaniac! Hey! What's with that skeptical look? I'm not joshing you, pal/lady. I screwed up an experiment and got combined with a Pokémon! So, how about it? Help me out there!"
- "No!? Now don't be so cold! Come on, you gotta help a guy in deep, deep trouble! What do you say, chief/beautiful? Please? Okay? All right! Wait till I get inside the Teleporter. When I do, go to my PC and run the Cell Separation System."
- After helping him
- "Yeehah! Thanks, bud/lady! I owe you one! So, did you come to see my Pokémon collection? You didn't? That's a bummer. I've got to thank you... Oh, here, maybe this'll do. That cruise ship S.S.Anne is in Vermilion City. I hear there are lots of Trainers on board, too. They invited me to their party, but I can't stand fancy do's. Why don't you go instead of me? Go and have a good time."
- After returning to his house
- "Feel like checking out some of my rare Pokémon on my PC? Go on, check out my PC."
- What does this person do?
- "After all, Bill's world-famous as a Pokémaniac. He invented the Pokémon Storage System on PC, too."
- Cerulean City — Little Boy
- Favorite kind of Pokémon?
- "Bill has lots of Pokémon! He collects rare ones, too!"
- Fuchsia City — Bill's grandfather
- What is this person like?
- Favorite kind of Pokémon?
- ""Bill is a Pokémaniac, so he likes every kind. Apparently, the first one he caught was an Abra."
- One Island — Celio
- Family and friends?
- "Bill's hometown is Goldenrod City, where his folks still live. I've heard it's quite the festive, bustling city."
- One Island — Celio
- There's a rumor…
- "Apparently, Bill can't stomach milk at all."
- Message from Bill
- From: Bill
- To: player
- "Hey, there! Celio had nothing but praise for you. Hearing that makes me happy. When you catch some rare Pokémon, come show me, okay? Promise!"
In Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Bebe mentions that Bill invented the original PC storage system, and that she tinkered with it to make it easier to use. Upon giving the player an Eevee, Bebe refers to Bill as a friend from Johto to whom the Eevee previously belonged.
Johto and Kanto
| Official artwork from
| Official artwork from|
| Overworld sprite from
| Overworld sprite from
| Overworld sprite from
| Bill's Fame Checker sprite from
| Overworld sprite from|
In the anime
Bill had previously been trapped in a Kabuto costume for what he claims to have been hours (in the dub only; the original didn't state how long he had been in the costume) until Ash finally comes to press the release button for him. Afterwards, Bill fulfills a request made by Professor Oak to give Ash and his friends a lesson on the basics of Pokémon, during which Bill shares the idea that there may be many more than just 150 species of Pokémon. The remainder of his appearance is spent focused on explaining to Ash and company his recent project, involving a mysterious Pokémon whose cry can be heard across the sea.
| As Bill was reminiscing, the same sound from his memory was heard and a large figure appeared, rising from the ocean. As it came closer, it was revealed to be the outline of a Dragonite. As it came closer to the lighthouse, Team Rocket was shown scaling the cliff, and upon seeing the giant Dragonite, they began launching a barrage of missiles at it. This angered Dragonite, and it smashed the top of the lighthouse and began to walk away. Bill called out at it to stay, but to no avail.
In the morning, Bill seemed to be at peace with the fact that he didn't get to learn more about the Pokémon and was simply grateful he got to see it at all. With another life lesson from Bill, the heroes said goodbye and continued on their journey.
|Debut||Mystery at the Lighthouse|
In the TCG
This listing is of cards mentioning or featuring Bill or his services in the Pokémon Trading Card Game.
| Artwork of Bill performing maintenance by|
In the manga
In The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga
Bill appears in the third chapter of The Electric Tale of Pikachu, Clefairy Tale. He works with Professor Oak researching a colony of Clefairy at Mt. Moon. He was the one to discover the colony of Clefairy and has befriended many of them. Together with Professor Oak and Ash, he assists the Clefairy with an evolution ceremony.
In the same chapter, Bill also reveals parts of his past to Ash. In the beginning, Bill only became a Pokémon Trainer because he didn't like school and wanted to take a leave of absence, but as time went on, he discovered that he deeply cared for his Pokémon. He decided to become a Pokémon researcher after witnessing his Ivysaur evolving into Venusaur.
|When Bill was telling Ash his story about becoming a Pokémon Trainer, a flashback showed his Ivysaur evolving into a Venusaur. This motivated Bill into becoming a Pokémon researcher.|
In the How I Became a Pokémon Card manga
In the first chapter of How I Became a Pokémon Card, a younger Bill rescues a lost Dratini from an angry crowd and it lives with him for a couple of days, until its father, an angry Dragonite, begins to go on a rampage. Dratini returns home, promising to always be friends with Bill.
| Bill rescued this Dratini when he was young. This Dratini stayed with him until a Dragonite who was Dratini's father goes berserk. Dratini returns home promising to be with Bill again someday.
Dratini's only known move is Wrap*.
|Debut||The Day Dratini Grew Up|
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
- Main article: Bill (Adventures)
Bill appears as a supporting character in Pokémon Adventures.
In the Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys manga
In Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys, Bill appears in the chapter Gold and Black VS. Team Rocket. He tells Gold and Whitney all the folklore of Ecruteak City, including the legends of Ho-Oh, the legendary beasts, and the story of the Bell Tower and the Brass Tower. Later, when Bill, Gold, and the Gym Leaders are held hostage by Grey and the other Rockets, he loans his Espeon and Umbreon to Gold and Black.
This listing is for Bill's Pokémon in the Pokémon Gold & Silver: The Golden Boys manga.
| Espeon was one of the Pokémon that was immune to the radio waves caused by Team Rocket. It was given to Gold for the time being in order to stop Team Rocket.
Espeon's only known move is Quick Attack.
|Debut||Gold and Black VS Team Rocket|
| When Team Rocket were controlling Pokémon using the radio waves, Bill had an Umbreon that was immune to the effect. In order for Black to defeat Team Rocket, he was given Umbreon temporarily.
None of Umbreon's moves are known.
|Debut||Gold and Black VS Team Rocket|
In the Pokémon Pocket Monsters manga
Bill and his wife were transformed into a leopard and Mew respectively from an unsuccessful experiment, which his wife noted, when they combined themselves with a cat when they wanted to combine a human and an animal together. After doing so, Bill's wife went out to search for a Moon Stone in order to get changed back to humans. She managed to find the Moon Stone that Red and Green were searching for. They went after Mew and arrived in an abandoned water mill. Red and Green's entrance caused Bill to appear and introduce himself to them. He then explained that he was the one who created the unknown Pokémon in the house and is experimenting on creating the most powerful Pokémon. However, the Pokémon Bill created turned out to be just plush dolls instead of real Pokémon. Seeing Clefairy, Bill decided to use him for one of his experiments but was stopped by his wife before he was able to do so. His wife explained the story about their transformations to the group and why she took the Moon Stone from them. After the story, Green decided to try and catch her, thinking that she was a real Mew but was stopped from doing so by Bill.
When Clefairy battled Green's Charizard, Bill went to one of the machines to shrink Charizard but it ended up shrinking both Clefairy and Charizard since the former did not leave the machine on time. After Green gave up on catching Bill's wife in the form of Mew, the group watched as Bill and his wife used the Moon Stone and the machine that transformed them in the first place, to change back into humans. As soon as that happened, both Red and Green ran away after noticing Bill's hideous appearance in human form.
Bill made a reappearance in Bring Down the Strongest Pokémon!! with his wife. Giovanni kidnapped him and his wife in order to finish creating Mewtwo since Giovanni only created the first half. Giovanni tied up his wife, as well as Green and his Charmander, thus blackmailing Bill into working on creating the Mewtwo. Clefairy tried to stop the creation of Mewtwo from getting finished but Giovanni's Meowth prevented him from getting closer. With Mewtwo completed, Bill's wife was released, and she and Bill went up to Mew to see if it was okay. When Clefairy battled Mewtwo, he threw it in the DNA switching machine and Clefairy went in the other one. Clefairy told Bill to give Mewtwo his DNA and Bill activates the DNA switching machine which transformed Clefairy into Mewtwo. Clefairy goes in the machine again but Bill could not do it since it did not have any power. Red's Pikachu used his electricity to charge it up and Clefairy's DNA went to Giovanni's other Pokémon.
Bill made his third appearance in Find the Legendary Pokémon!! His appearance is closer to his game artwork in this chapter. A Kimono Girl takes Red and his Pokémon to him after they were playing around in the Brass Tower. Bill shows them his Time Capsule machine and demonstrates it on a guy about to get hit by a car, Tyrogue runs to the car and gets hit instead. Bill then ponders about his past which made Clefairy interested and wants the group to try it out. They go in the time machine and he sends them back in time.
|Mew was the wife of Bill. She was searching for a Moon Stone in order to change herself and Bill back to humans.|
|Debut||Obtain the Moon Stone!|
In the Pokémon Zensho manga
Bill appears in Vermilion City where he transformed into a Nidoran♂. Satoshi comes by and mistakes him for an actual Nidoran. He ends up catching him and Bill tells Satoshi that the Nidoran is him. He then has Satoshi place him in a machine that will separate his human self from his Pokémon self.
|Prior to Satoshi's arrival, Bill ends up being merged into the male Nidoran's body in a Pokémon transporter. As soon as Satoshi shows up, he ends up catching Nidoran♂ but releases it after finding out that it was a human. Nidoran♂ got separates from Bill after telling Satoshi how to use the transporter to separate Bill from the Nidoran's body.|
- Bill is one of two male characters in charge of a PC storage system, running the systems for the Kanto and Johto regions. Cassius is the second, running the system for the Kalos region. The characters in charge of the storage systems in the Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova regions are all female.
- Bill being mixed with a Pokémon during a teleportation experiment seems to be a direct reference to the movie The Fly, where a scientist experimenting with teleportation pods ends up combined with a fly.
- In FireRed and LeafGreen, if a player declines to go to the Sevii Islands after defeating Blaine, Bill will wait in Cinnabar Island's Pokémon Center. During this period, he is both back at his home on Route 25 and on Cinnabar Island at the same time.
- In the anime, Bill has green hair, and appears to be wearing formal clothing. In the games, his appearance differs greatly.
- Many rumors sprouted up during the time of Generation I where if the player could travel to the gap which appeared at the back of Bill's House, they would encounter Mew. This proved to be false and to stop further rumors, the gap was removed in the Generation III remakes.
- In Generation II and Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver, a fan of Bill's named Brent will reveal trivia about Bill via the Pokégear. The information shared include the fact that Bill's younger sister can't wink, Bill's first Pokémon caught was Abra, his mother used to be a Kimono Girl, Bill is lactose intolerant (also claimed by Celio in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen), he isn't very good at Pokémon battles, and that Bill is attracted to the Goldenrod Flower Shop owner's daughter.
- In the anime, Bill is portrayed as having an English accent, while in the Pokémon Adventures manga, he is portrayed as having a southern American accent.
- The Pokémon Bill is mixed with is different in each canon: in Generation I he is mixed with an unknown Pokémon, in Generation III he is mixed with a Clefairy, in the Pokémon Adventures manga he is mixed with a Rattata, in the Pokémon Zensho manga he is mixed with a Nidoran♂, and in the anime he is trapped in a Kabuto costume.
- According to a Pokémon Daisuki Club site describing the Pokémon world, Bill studied at Celadon University.
- Bill is currently the only Storage System developer to have appeared in the anime.
|From 正木 masaki (Japanese spindle) and possibly みさき misaki (cape), referring to where he lives.|
|Bill||Possibly from Bill Gates, former head of Microsoft and developer of the Microsoft Windows operating system for PCs.|
|French||Léo||Possibly from Link Everything Online.|
|Korean||이수재 Lee Su-Jae||From 수재 Su-Jae (秀才), meaning a very talented person, referring to his Pokémon research expertise in many fields.|
|Chinese (Mandarin)||曾根崎正輝 / 曾根崎正辉
|From the Japanese 曾根崎 Sonezaki and 正輝 Masaki. 輝 (radiance) is also a possible reference to his lighthouse on the cape.|
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|